We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Email server problem

Simsy

Likes # 0

Folks,

I've just been "fixing" my sisters email...

For some time she only been able to use webmail. Her email address is;

[email protected]

She has had this for years, from when she used to have her internet access with tiscali, on PAYG dial-up.

Some time ago, (possibly over a year ago), she changed her isp, and it is now Virgin, (Cable) Her "default" "Virgin" email address is [email protected]

Her setup is that she has 2 computers at home. A desktop that has MS Office XP, with Outlook A Laptop that doesn't have Office, so she uses Outlook Express for her emails.

The problem was that she's not been able to send emails from either programme, for some time.

I suspected that it was because the smtp server was incorrectly set to use the tiscali sever, instead of the Virgin one... I checked and found that her SMTP was set to tiscali... So I changed it to smtp.ntlworld.com as per the advice here;

Virgin info

It's now working fine with the Desktop and Outlook, but just refuses to connect to the server with the laptop and Outlook Express. (This is while she's at home, using her own router/internet connection... not on the road)

I've tried repeatedly, checking/changing/experimenting with the various security settings/ports, but it never connects.

(Both machines receiving fine... just the laptop not sending).

I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

The three PC's I changed to livemail were all running XP. I changed specifically because Outlook Express was not connecting to the smtp server and was not saving the password. These are known issues. Deleting and recreating the account worked on one PC and has done so for about three months.

Installing livemail is very straight forward and it will transfer settings and messages.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"The three PC's I changed to livemail were all running XP...."

Massive apologies for my earlier post Jollyjohn, you are indeed correct.

It's the latest Windows Live Mail 2011 that's incompatible with XP. The 2009 version is still available and that's the one that XP users get.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia