We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Email server problem

Simsy

Likes # 0

Folks,

I've just been "fixing" my sisters email...

For some time she only been able to use webmail. Her email address is;

xxx@tiscali.co.uk

She has had this for years, from when she used to have her internet access with tiscali, on PAYG dial-up.

Some time ago, (possibly over a year ago), she changed her isp, and it is now Virgin, (Cable) Her "default" "Virgin" email address is xxx@ntlworld.com

Her setup is that she has 2 computers at home. A desktop that has MS Office XP, with Outlook A Laptop that doesn't have Office, so she uses Outlook Express for her emails.

The problem was that she's not been able to send emails from either programme, for some time.

I suspected that it was because the smtp server was incorrectly set to use the tiscali sever, instead of the Virgin one... I checked and found that her SMTP was set to tiscali... So I changed it to smtp.ntlworld.com as per the advice here;

Virgin info

It's now working fine with the Desktop and Outlook, but just refuses to connect to the server with the laptop and Outlook Express. (This is while she's at home, using her own router/internet connection... not on the road)

I've tried repeatedly, checking/changing/experimenting with the various security settings/ports, but it never connects.

(Both machines receiving fine... just the laptop not sending).

I'm open to any suggestions!

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Virgin has had problems with sending E mail as defined on the forums and their website. only sorted in past couple of days

Virgin has the correct setting you are looking for if you log into

her Virgin Media account

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Thanks,

I have the correct settings, as proved by the fact that I have entered the settings into OUTLOOK, on the desktop, and that works.

The same settings in OUTLOOK EXPRESS, on the laptop, is where the problem lies.

I'll see what I can glean from the forum!

Thanks

Any other pointers welcome!

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Can I suggest you update to Windows Live Mail on the laptop, this is part of Live Essentials but can install only the mail app. Outlook express has been around since Windows 95.
I have change d3 PC's recently to use live mail instead of OE and they are working fine.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Thanks...

But changing software is not an avenue I can even contemplate!

OE itself seems to be working fine... it's just this connection issue, which I'm sure is something I'm doing wrong...

It's just occured to me that maybe I could try creating a new account from scratch.

I'll report back... eventually... It may be some time before I can get back to her.

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"It's just occured to me that maybe I could try creating a new account from scratch...."

That sometimes fixes things, but if it doesn't, it would be helpful to see an entire Outlook Express error message when the sending fails. Simply right-click in the error window, choose "Copy" and paste it here.

I'm not convinced your sister's problem is being caused by the recent NTL server outages - if it were then the second PC in the house would be affected too.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

It may be a while before I can get back to this, but I'll past the error message when I can!

"I'm not convinced your sister's problem is being caused by the recent NTL server outages - if it were then the second PC in the house would be affected too."

Indeed!

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

These two virgin mail info links might be pertinent

Register your third-party email address

third-party email address

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

I suspected that it was because the smtp server was incorrectly set to use the tiscali sever, instead of the Virgin one... I checked and found that her SMTP was set to tiscali... So I changed it to smtp.ntlworld.com as per the advice here;

Reading what you posted may well be the cause of the problem, The laptop ( clearly had different settings to the desktop. One connecting to Virgin, one connecting to tiscali, Now that VM has resolved their problem with smpt, the desktop which no settings have been changed ) is now working fine but the laptop ( which is the one you have changed the settings on ) is still not working. Clearly to me the original settings were correct. Until you have the correct settings ( possibility the original one ) back on the laptop. Your problems will not be resolved. Jollyjohn offered the best solution upgrading to windows live which you rejected the only other option I can see is to add a new account. ( deleting the old one may loose any information you have not saved. Is your laptop fully updated from Microsoft and which version of IE are you using

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Hi sharpamat

I'm reading the OP's post differently to you. The desktop and the laptop apparently have the same mail settings but only the desktop can send Tiscali e-mails.

The OP did the right thing by reconfiguring the e-mail clients on both computers to use the NTL SMTP server. Without that change the OP's sister would never be able to send from her Tiscali account.

I'm not so sure upgrading to Live Mail is such a good idea as it's only available to Windows Vista and Windows 7 users - not XP ;)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger