We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do you connect a netgear wireless router to the internet?

destan
Resolved

Likes # 0

A colleague has got a single channel BT broadband connection, proper old, his employers have sent him a netgear wireless router. He has connected the router to the telephone socket but can not get broadband connectivity, it asks for an ISP ID and logon. Now, call me stupid but is that the details for his BT connection? If he has lost his ID and password, whom should he speak to. I ask this as I seem to get asked these questions which I am willing to put on this forum as I know there are thousands of Tech savy users here.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 1

destan, I setup routers for BT users all the time so there's no need to phone BT - just get him to enter those ISP login details into his Netgear.

Like this post
destan

Likes # 0

Secret Squirell et al, Thanks for your information. I will attempt to sort the router tomorrow with all the details you have provided and will post the result. Again

thanks

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I will attempt to sort the router tomorrow ......."

OK then - to make the setup as easy as possible for you, run the Netgear setup CD and answer the simple questions. Or if you prefer to use the browser-based interface, click on "Setup Wizard" top-left of the screen then tell the wizard to automatically detect the connection type. If you do choose the latter option then make sure you secure the wireless network with a strong password.

Like this post
destan

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies, I am still waiting for my colleague to bring in the router and disc.

Thanks Secret-Squirrel I will use the info once I have the hardware back.

Again, thanks all for your assistance. Stan.

Like this post
Roger Evens

Likes # 0

I have recently installed a new netgear router. The isp connection is made using the user name as described by Network-Squirrel.

The password is printed on the base of the router.

So my user name is firstname.secondname@btinternet.com and my password is as printed on the bottom of the router.

Like this post
Roger Evens

Likes # 0

Sorry should have said Secret-Squirrel

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"I am still waiting for my colleague to bring in the router and disc....I will use the info once I have the hardware back"

I may have misunderstood what you mean by that but it needs to be set up on the phone line that it will be permanently attached to.

Like this post
destan

Likes # 0

The colleague, has taken the box, et al, back to their house. I am flumoxed as to why ask me, who asks you, to sort a problem, then takes the kit home. The BBnd is at work, the feed is live as they are running a single chanel router, which i now know how to change for the wireless replacement. Thanks guys I will update once fitted and running. Stan

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

From that, I gather that you are going into your colleague's workplace and are going to swap out the single channel router for the netgear wireless router.

Like this post
destan

Likes # 0

Yep, Lotvic.

They already have the broadband in place, BT BB with a VERY old single channel wired router.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September