We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do you connect a netgear wireless router to the internet?

destan
Resolved

Likes # 0

A colleague has got a single channel BT broadband connection, proper old, his employers have sent him a netgear wireless router. He has connected the router to the telephone socket but can not get broadband connectivity, it asks for an ISP ID and logon. Now, call me stupid but is that the details for his BT connection? If he has lost his ID and password, whom should he speak to. I ask this as I seem to get asked these questions which I am willing to put on this forum as I know there are thousands of Tech savy users here.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

This may be a silly question, but: he does have an ISP, doesn't he? And a broadband account?

If he does, then he will have a user name and password that he needs to enter into the router in order to connect to the Internet via that ISP.

And if he's forgotten them, he needs to speak to someone at his ISP.

Like this post
destan

Likes # 0

Ian, thanks, I thought it may be as simple as that and have asked him to speak to both his ISP and his companies supposed IT department. Cheers

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"it asks for an ISP ID and logon........."

Setting up a router for the BT broadband service should be dead easy because the login details are the same for all users:

Username: [email protected]

Password: None required (if the router insists on one then you should type in password)

The BT network authenticates using the telephone number hence the generic username and password.

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

He just needs to ring BT - they will ask some security questions then reset the password. The username is usually

[email protected]

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 1

destan, I setup routers for BT users all the time so there's no need to phone BT - just get him to enter those ISP login details into his Netgear.

Like this post
destan

Likes # 0

Secret Squirell et al, Thanks for your information. I will attempt to sort the router tomorrow with all the details you have provided and will post the result. Again

thanks

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I will attempt to sort the router tomorrow ......."

OK then - to make the setup as easy as possible for you, run the Netgear setup CD and answer the simple questions. Or if you prefer to use the browser-based interface, click on "Setup Wizard" top-left of the screen then tell the wizard to automatically detect the connection type. If you do choose the latter option then make sure you secure the wireless network with a strong password.

Like this post
destan

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies, I am still waiting for my colleague to bring in the router and disc.

Thanks Secret-Squirrel I will use the info once I have the hardware back.

Again, thanks all for your assistance. Stan.

Like this post
Roger Evens

Likes # 0

I have recently installed a new netgear router. The isp connection is made using the user name as described by Network-Squirrel.

The password is printed on the base of the router.

So my user name is [email protected] and my password is as printed on the bottom of the router.

Like this post
Roger Evens

Likes # 0

Sorry should have said Secret-Squirrel

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...