We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

VSS error code - 0x81000019

Sixosix

Likes # 0

Windows 7HP 32 Windows System and files backup onto external hard drive with plenty of room produces error code VSS 0x000019 How do I get it to work please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/973455/. This does not happen if you add any extra folder to a library. It happens only if a reparse point or a child of a reparse point is added to a library.

2. Antivirus/Antimalware reporting some bad files and holding locks for those files. Backup fails when it tries to backup these files. For this, please remove the bad files reported by the Antivirus/Antimalware and rerun backup.

Like this post
Sixosix

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruitbat I have just tried to use my Paragon backup program (which operates well on my Vista PC) and have got an error 0x11112, VSS technology specific I think this relates to the System Partition on my primary disk where I have over 200mb of free space. Is this relevant?

I have scanned for malware and its ok

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make sure that the VSS (Volume Shadow Service) is running automatic

Have you used other imaging software previously eg Norton Ghost?

Like this post
Sixosix

Likes # 0

For Fruit Bat No, only the Windows 7 own backup and restore as an alternative to Paragon when it didn't work. How do I reach the option - automatic, is it in a folder in Control Panel? Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

type “services.msc” in the Search box

When the services windows opens scroll down to Volume Shadow Service highlight it and right click select Properties

On the General tap you will see a startup type box click on the arrow and select Automatic just below that you will see Service status if it is stopped (I suspect it is and this is causing your problem) then click on Start button - Click OK.

Retry your backup program - if still not working try rebooting and then retry the backup program.

Like this post
Sixosix

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat, I'll try that this afternoon and see what happens - and let you know.

Like this post
Sixosix

Likes # 0

For Fruit Bat I found the VSS turned off and did as you suggested. I tried again to use first Windows 7 backup image - it failed. I downloaded a copy of Macrium Reflect which I read does not use the VSS (?). It detected an error that needed CHKDSK. I got an all clear on the C:/ partition. That did clear the error but did not allow Macrium to back up, producing another CHKDSK requirement. Can I/ should I safely CHKDSK the System partition? Sixosix

Like this post
Sixosix

Likes # 0

For Fruit Bat Since my last post I have managed to image the system partition so I guess its OK I tried the main partition (C:/) and got the same error code.

"Error reading volume bitmap - Error code = 1. Please run 'chkdsk C: /f'"

f is my 120gb external disk

I have been down this route twice and chkdsk does not seem to find anything wrong with the C:/ partition. Sixosix

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Chkdsk /f

f stands for fix

you will be checking the C: drive and attempting to fix any errors it finds

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK