We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

googleEarth question please

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

using google earth i want to measure the distance between two points using a footpath, despite clicking the walking icon the route defaults to go via roads.

anyone know how to get the route to keep to the footpaths all of which are thames towpath routes i am trying to measure for a charity walk, or know of another web that will do the job.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You can do it on Google Maps. Go to Labs via settings and make sure the distance measurement tool is enabled. Then in Maps bottom left of the map itself click on the small ruler. You can then set as many way-points as you want and you do not have to follow roads.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Can also be done within Google Earth, simply click on the Ruler icon fourth from right.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS

After clicking on Ruler, choose the 'Path' tab, you will then get multiple points with each click, which each add up to total distance covered.

Hope that makes sense.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

nontek & woolwell thank you i will try those options

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

nontek

tried you advice click on paths tab but cannot get google earth th measure between the two pins.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

woolwel

cannot find settings or labs option, i signed in and tried help but the help links on labs do not open

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you are signed in to Google then top right there should be your user name. To the right of that is the settings button, clicking on that should show Maps Labs. Open that and make sure that distance measurement tool is enabled (it probably is). Suggest close browser and re-open to maps. Bottom left corner of the actual map there should be a small ruler. Click on that to start the measurement process. To follow a windy path you will need to click on each bend as it draws straight lines.

I currently haven't got Google Earth downloaded so will have to check that later.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

With Google Earth - with the rule showing and on path tab left click on the start position (using the square sight). Nothing will show that you have clicked. Move to the next point and click and a yellow line should join the 2 giving the distance. Click again on the next point and it will add the distance and so on.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

woolwell thanks will try again

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

woolwell thanks for the continued help but the route still keeps defaulting to roads, i have emailed google and now await a reply. despite logging on still get no settings option.

even tried on two computers xp and w7

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added