We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

googleEarth question please

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

using google earth i want to measure the distance between two points using a footpath, despite clicking the walking icon the route defaults to go via roads.

anyone know how to get the route to keep to the footpaths all of which are thames towpath routes i am trying to measure for a charity walk, or know of another web that will do the job.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't understand that as I can click on anywhere (road, path, field, river) and it draws lines and measures between the 2 and it doesn't bother with what it goes over. Are you asking for directions?

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

sunnystaines No consolation to you, but Tools/Ruler/Path works here. Just been all round a field.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

got a reply back from google, seems i have to wait till that area is upgraded in google maps, they even had a screen shot of the pin positions on the map i had placed.

thanks all that tried to help out.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm sorry but I find that answer from Google hard to believe. Which part of the Thames is it?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

woolwell

taken from google reply email

"Hi david,

Your Google Maps problem report has been reviewed, and you were right!We'll update the map soon and email you when you can see the change. Thanks for helping us to improve Google Maps!"

The area of thames is victoria gardens, staines [where rail line crosses the thames along the towpath also known as thamesside to penton hook marina then onto chertseylock.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I can follow along Thamesside.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

woolwell thanks for the reply, i will try on someone else computer under their name, i must being doing something simple wrong but cannot see where.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

sorted

just updated to goole earth 6.2 and the advice given now works for me. thanks all that helped

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features