We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Some options on kindle not available to me

Bargee

Likes # 0

Hiya,

Given the new kindle wi-fi for Christmas, but I don't have wi-fi. No problem so far, I registered online & I'm able to buy & download via the PC.

Howvever, I've noticed that most of the options are not available to me off the home page including changing font (it does seem that I can do this when I'm in a book), viewing archived items, creating collections, sync & check & viewing downloads. There are other options also not available.

My question is why this should be so & could the problem be due to the fact the kindle hasn't connected via wi-fi for registration?

If I do need to do this, I'll be a bit annoyed with Amazon for making & selling a product that is virtually useless unless its hooked into their servers. It should have the ability to be a stand alone unit with the majority of features available IMO.

Cheers.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Maybe worth contacting your ISP for a 'free' wireless modem router.

Call the sales line from Yellow Pages ISPs.

Explain your situation.

They may ask you to sign up again for 18months, but it worked for me and AOL. I wasn't planning to change.

My Unlimited Fair Use continued. Speed up from 2Mbps to 5Mbps (max I can get 2 miles from exchange) pcm down from £17 to £10.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

As above, ask your internet provider for a wi-fi router.

I have had several provided free in the last few years.

If they say you have to pay, then tell them you will look for another ISP.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have you downloaded your archive items to your PC which you can then trasnfer to the Kindle?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Bargee please tell us your present setup to access the internet.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I too am confused. Do you mean you do not have a wireless router, just a wired one ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No confusion

he does not have a router just a modem

All he needs to do is to connect the kindle through anyones wireless network for a minute or two to allow the kindle to register with Amazon.

Once registered all the Kindle functions will be available.

I too only load the kindle via USB from the PC and never have the wifi on (even though I have a wireless router)

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Do a scan and see if you have any wireless connections nearby, I have six wireless networks nearby and two of them are unsecured. I am not telling you to use someone else's bandwidth of course!!!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

There must be many people in the same siuation, people who want an ebook reader that don't have a wireless router or even a PC (my parents for one)

Amazon appear to have presumed just because you are buying the latest must have technology, that you also have the all the other technology.

:0)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Well hidden in Amazon's instructions is "If you have a Wi-Fi only device, you will need to setup your Wi-Fi connection in order to register"

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

amazons Kindle Store and 'Manage Your Kindle' and 'Kindle Support' top right are OK.

Also Google 'kindle tips and tricks' and 'hacks'

A wealth of info. And hacks don't mean anything sinister.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?