We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Some options on kindle not available to me

Bargee

Likes # 0

Hiya,

Given the new kindle wi-fi for Christmas, but I don't have wi-fi. No problem so far, I registered online & I'm able to buy & download via the PC.

Howvever, I've noticed that most of the options are not available to me off the home page including changing font (it does seem that I can do this when I'm in a book), viewing archived items, creating collections, sync & check & viewing downloads. There are other options also not available.

My question is why this should be so & could the problem be due to the fact the kindle hasn't connected via wi-fi for registration?

If I do need to do this, I'll be a bit annoyed with Amazon for making & selling a product that is virtually useless unless its hooked into their servers. It should have the ability to be a stand alone unit with the majority of features available IMO.

Cheers.

Like this post
Bargee

Likes # 0

OK, just to clarify a couple of things.

I don't have a router with wi-fi capability, its a standard 4 port modem router.

I already download via my Amazon archive through my PC & USB cable.

I like the suggestion of asking my ISP for a free wi-fi router upgrade & I will defo explore that option.

Fruitbat, have you noticed that you can't download Amazon ebooks unless you have a kindle registered? Go on another PC/laptop or access as a guest, try to get a download & see what happens, you'll get nowhere mate.

Haven't heard back from Amazon about my negative feedback yet, doubt I will now. How hard would it be to provide a registration download off the website for you to transfer to your kindle via USB?

Thanks for all the comments.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"you can't download Amazon ebooks unless you have a kindle registered"

I don't think that's right, What you do need is an Amazon Account, you log in to your account then you can 'buy free books'

Click on the 'How buying works' link, bottom bit says "If you are outside a 3G wireless coverage area and cannot connect to Wi-Fi, select Transfer via Computer from the Deliver to menu when buying. You can then download the Kindle Edition to your computer and transfer to your USB connected Kindle. "

I was downloading free books to a folder on my pc from Amazon for many months before I purchased a Kindle, If you want to read them on a PC etc. obviously you need a program that can read the file format but there are a selection of free Apps from Amazon

Like this post
Bargee

Likes # 0

Really lotvic? I genuinely didn't realise that, I've obviously got it wrong.

Thanks for putting me right on that mate.

Cheers.

P.S. Just to clarify, could it possibly be because you've downloaded their reading App that allowed you to make the purchase? Just a thought.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"could it possibly be because you've downloaded their reading App that allowed you to make the purchase?"

Maybe I put it badly, yes of course you do need a Kindle account of some sort.

I already had an Amazon account for other types of purchases. By downloading the Free Kindle for PC App it created a Kindle account. (My Kindle Account on Amazon Server keeps track of/handles all purchases, free or paid, of ebooks from the Kindle Store). That is the whole point of a Kindle and is what Amazon designed it for - to interact with your Kindle account. A copy of the ebooks will remain in My Kindle Account on Amazon so I can at any time re-download them to any other device/App/Folder on pc.

However, to test about needing the 'Kindle for PC' App, I just logged in to my Amazon account and purchased and downloaded a free ebook to a folder of my own choosing on my ThinkPad that does not have any Kindle Apps installed.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

edit should read: to test about needing the 'Kindle for PC' App installed on the pc used to download

Like this post
Bargee

Likes # 0

lotvic, I think that might be because you already have a kindle acount.

I'd be interested to hear from someone with an Amazon account, but without a kindle account, to try & buy an ebook. In otherwords, I suppose I'm asking whether its possible to buy an ebook from Amazon without having a kindle account.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I suppose you mean like, buy a free or paid ebook to give to someone else for a present? Can't help with that as have never tried.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...