We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Format laptop problems

bluemoon69
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all and thanks in advance. Need to format my old laptop so i can give to the wife nice and clean. Now i have never done this before and have been told i will need my windows installation disc to load vista and all the drivers on it again, but i do not have it anymore. So is there anyway of doing this. Sorry but as i said earlier i have not got a clue about formatting or cleaning the computer, as never had to do it before. Many, many thanks Clive.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

For a fresh install, you'll have to beg borrow or steal a Vista disk which is the same version as the COA sticker on your laptop (or buy from ebay if you have to). The installation is then easy, but you'll have some problems with driver; if the Ethernet driver isn't included in the windows disk, you'll need to locate the correct one and download it to a memory stick on another computer, then transfer it. Once you have internet access, there are free programmes which will scan the laptop and point you towards download sites (best to choose the manufacturer's own site of the bit of hardware involved).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make / model of laptop?

you may be able to rest it to factory conditions.

but then it will have to have all the updates reinstalled but this should happen automatically when it is connected to the internet

Like this post
bluemoon69

Likes # 0

Make and model is....Acer Aspire 5610z. How would i know if i can reset to factory conditions and how would i do this. Cheers all.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you go into "Start > All Programs", there may be an Acer folder containing a link to the Recovery option, which would return the Laptop to its out-of-the-box state.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Acer Recovery Instructions

1. Power on the machine
  2. At the white ACER BIOS screen, hold the “Alt” key and press the “F10” key simultaneously to start Acer eRecovery
  3. Once eRecovery has loaded, click “Restore to Factory Default Settings”
  4. Click “OK” to continue
  5. From here, the eRecovery process will update all the data on the C: drive and restore a fully functional factory image (approximately 10 minutes).
  6. Once eRecovery has run, press “OK” to reboot unit
Like this post  
bluemoon69

Likes # 0

Thanks to everybody and fruit bat once i do what you say and press "OK" to reboot the unit....Vista and all the drivers will still be there. Cheers, many many thanks. Will spend the next day taking off what i need to save and then will try it :)

Like this post
bluemoon69

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, sorted

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites