We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Online laptop purchase reliability.

frybluff
Resolved

Likes # 0

Having decided on a particular laptop, I have found it available from the following: Saveonlaptops, Dabbs, BT shop. Have tried John Lewis, Laptopsdirect, Amazon, e-buyer, without much success. My question is this: Of the ones who have what I want, is their after sales service "much of a muchness", or is one better than another (prices are at least similar). Alternatively, can anyone suggest a supplier who is "good" that I may not have thought of. I am thinking of getting Lenovo Z570, with i5, and addition nVidia graphics, preferably 6GB/750GB.

Like this post
100andthirty

Likes # 0

Dabs and BT Shop are one and the same, BT having bought Dabs a couple of years ago. Thus they are big reputable company that'll still be there tomorrow. I know nothing of Saveonlaptops, but struggled on a quick search to find anything bad - which is a good sign. All that said, Lenovo is also a reputable company too and will stand behind their product.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If available from John Lewis, they give a 2 year warranty on laptops. I prefer Toshiba as a brand however.J Lewis lets you order on line and collect from a store - I felt this a good option in case a return was needed( which, so far, it has not!)

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

RECENTLY BOUGHT FROM simplyacer and the service was very good at the buying end. Have not had to use customer service yet, fingers crossed, so can't comment on that aspect.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I dont know if its the same cost here

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Wiz-king. Their list prices are not really economic. Having said that, their site appears to be having problems. I've just been on, trying to clarify a point in the spec., and the Z570 appears to have "disappeared" from the site. Not very encouraging!!

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

To partly answer my own question, I have found that, if one asks pre-sales technical questions (eg Spec details) of online suppliers, there tends to be two types of answer: either a "stock" answer - "the manufacturer has not provided that information", or a detailed answer to one's question, including some explanatory info. I know which gives me more confidence to make a purchase!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...