We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Missing RegSvr32

gftreeton

Likes # 0

A friend asked me to "de-virus" her Dell Laptop - in the process of which, the sound dis-appeared. I uninstalled the IDT High definition Audio Codec, and re-installed it: to get a message saying that RegSvr32 was missing, and the driver didn't install properly. I can't do a repair installation of XP, as she doesn't have the XP disc. Can anyone tell me how I can get this dll back onto her laptop and successfully install the audio codec?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

You may do well to read this rsgsvvr32

It could still be a virus problem.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Look to see if there is a I386 folder on the hard drive (maybe under windows folder).

regsrv32.ex_

can be found there

1. Click Start, click Run, type Cmd, and then click OK.
  2. Type cd\, and then press ENTER.
  3. At the command prompt, type expand source destination, where source is the path to the file that you want to expand, and destination is the path to the location where you want to save the file, and then press ENTER.
Like this post
gftreeton

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat - I've found the I386 file (Windows, Driver Cache, I386) - but where do I need to save the file? (its an awful long time since I worked from a command prompt, so the syntax would be very helpful!)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July