We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lookout for Android - Credit card detail question

compumac

Likes # 0

My credit card along with quite a number of other peoples was compromised about three years ago. My card was cancelled and a new card issued. I have installed a trial of Lookout (antivirus/malware) onto my Samsung Galaxy Tab and also my Galaxy S phone. Subsequently the trial is about to expire and so I went through the motions of purchasing the Premium package in order to establish the costs of this. From my Galaxy S phone I clicked on the Lookout icon and clicked onto Update. This took me to a black background screen showing the last numbers of a credit card and also an option to choose an alternative credit card, there were no logos are any other text showing. The credit card last numbers displayed were the numbers of my old/compromised card from three years ago. I did this exercise four times with the same dialogue box being repeated. I have had no dealings with Lookout and cannot understand as to how my old card details could be held there. The e-mail address being used in connection with this was not in use three years ago.

I contacted Lookout and they were unable to throw any light on this. I then again looked into upgrading to Lookout premium going yet again via the icon on my S phone and was taken directly to a page with the Lookout logo etc. At this time I am still uncertain as to whether to go ahead. My question here is: - Can anyone explain as to how my old credit card details could be displayed in this manner after three years have passed?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Do you have a Google account - e.g. a gmail account? Might you have used your credit card in relation to that account? I'm thinking of the relationship between Android and Google. It never ceases to amaze me how much Google knows about me...

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Yes, I do have a Google account, but I am not aware of ever using that e-mail address to purchase anything.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I do have a Google account, but I am not aware of ever using that e-mail address to purchase anything."

You are running an Android device (two actually), and you presumably gave your Google e-mail address and/or account number when you registered and set up your devices.

If you downloaded any paid application to your phone or tab, or even a trial you didn't go on to purchase, it probably went through your Google account.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

morddwyd I have not downloaded any trial or given any credit card details via either phone or pad.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

No, but you have you synched either of your devices with your PC/laptop, for instance so that you can check your e-mail?

If so all information will have been sybched, including purchase history on your Google account, assuming that you have, at some time in the past, used your Google account to purchase something.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

My Tab and my phone are both synchronised for the calendar, but I do not have any history of purchasing of anything knowingly through Google.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added