We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Spreadsheet programming problem

alternator

Likes # 0

Firstly I am fairly green on full development of spreadsheets, I can build them using the available functions, such as VLOOKUP, IF, RAND, SUM, AVG etc but writing macros is beyond my capabilities What I would like to do is to generate a spreadsheet on an old Dell Axim (palmtop) that runs pocket Excel which seems to have most of the functions available that a full version of Excel has. My plan was to make a spreadsheet which I could use to generate a random digit which corresponds to cloak room tickets sold, to save having to rip off the corresponding numbers and go through the nausea of ripping and folding the corresponding tickets to those sold. So I need to enter the two numbers between which the sold ticket numbers exist say 36-115, then generate a random number between these (note there is no RAND BETWEEN function on pocket EXCEL or at least not this version. I can do that no problem using the RAND function. But where I come unstuck, is when I want to keep pulling out more random numbers, because ideally I don't want to repeat the numbers that have already been pulled. I can obviously enter the numbers of the tickets that have been pulled in one column and use a VLOOKUP and a whole lot of IF arguments, but this becomes totally unwieldy, I feel sure there must be a neater solution to this without resorting to writing macros, which are beyond my capabbilities

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

The problem is simply solved by when a number has been used that number is changed to 0 (zero)so it can not be used again.

Terry

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks Terry, I am probably being a bit thick. But what I had envisaged was a cell with the starting number of the cloakroom tickets and one with the end number of the cloakroom tickets. Then to have a cell which calculated last number less the first ticket number. Then to multiply this cell by the RAND cell to generate the random number, then add the starting ticket number so the random number then is a number corresponding with one of the tickets bought. When I enter the generated ticket number in the column of winning tickets it will generate another number, but my problem, is using this system it is quite possible it will generate number that has already been selected. This is what I am attempting to avoid. So I am saying the actual numbers of the tickets is not physically entered.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone