We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Keys gone haywire on laptop

iscanut2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a Samsung R60 laptop. All of a sudden, some of the keys have started misbehaving. Some will not work at all, do not register, others produce a totally different character or symbol to that presses. Others work properly. I have done nothing to change anything. Can I assume that the keyboard pcb is now useless and this sort of fault cannot be rectified without somehow taking the keyboard out and tinkering with it. Am using an external usb keyboard to get round the problem.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Sounds like the keyboard circuitry has gone. If under warranty I suggest you contact the retailer. I am assuming there has been no liquid spill involved here but that is the most common reason for a keyboard to react like this.

Either way the keyboard should be replaced to determine if that's the fault - absolutely no point in "tinkering" with it. New keyboard should be about £20 I would think and probably quite easy to replace yourself. (Would need to check for you.)

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Have you tried re-setting the language and region to English UK? It may make a difference although if the external keyboard is working OK it does sound like a bad keyboard connection. No fluids spilt on it or anything like that?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If external works OK, then problem is keyboard itself or may be the ribbon cable that connects it to the mobo. I have had problems with sammy lcd cables where, reseating them had cured the problem. If not, keyboards aren't expensive and are simple to change (if you have a bit of knowhow). I don't have a manual for your model, but it's possible the R50 may be similar here

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If external works OK, then problem is keyboard itself or may be the ribbon cable that connects it to the mobo. I have had problems with sammy lcd cables where, reseating them had cured the problem. If not, keyboards aren't expensive and are simple to change (if you have a bit of knowhow). I don't have a manual for your model, but it's possible the R50 may be similar here

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Video here

and a new keyboard here

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your quick responses. You confirm my feelings. Not sure about my ability to tinker with keyboard, but may get it repaired at a cost, although as external keys work OK, will persevere for the time being. Thanks,

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This may be a stupid question but have you made sure that num lock isn't on?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Yes to both questions !

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you look at the video, you'll see it's a five minute job to change the keyboard, so nothing to be concerned about!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer