We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with spam in new "unused" Hotmail account. How can that be?

mooly

Likes # 0

Some weeks ago I opened a new Hotmail account with the sole intention of using it just to acquire a Windows Live ID and to use for notifications from MS forums.

This account has never been disclosed to anyone ever and yet it has started to receive spam... fake Rolex watches, pills and potions etc. I never open any and just delete them.

I believe Hotmail has a reputation for spam, and my experience seems to confirm it.

I reported this on the appropriate Hotmail problems link and it was looked into and the reply was to the effect that "we don't know why this happens but it just does".

I have a similar Gmail account that has never ever receieved one single spam email in 2.5 years.

Like this post
Jameslayer

Likes # 0

I get very little spam on my hotmails acount. Probely 2/3 a month.

Like this post
Zurdo

Likes # 0

Did you make up an address that could be anything like a proper name eg j.smith@hotmail.com? I have a hotmail account with an address that is not in any dictionary etc. and recieve hardly any spam.

Like this post
Zurdo

Likes # 0

"Recieve" isn't in any dictioonary either! Could never spell that word!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Are you sure that it hasn't been hacked? I would change the password.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Zurdo... no, it's a "made up" name of characters and numbers.

Woolwell... I wouldn't know how to tell for sure if an account had been hacked. The password is strong, a random and unrememberable string.

As mentioned, it's only used to receieve incoming alerts.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Most of thespam I get on Hotmail including ROLEX fakes dont evne have my email address or even close on them Hot mail is absolute crap security wise .Even more annoying is regular news letters that their SMART screen filter thinks suspicious I have to click on to see the whole of the letter . Now if they can do that how in the blazes do they allow mail not even remotely addresse to me throughn ,fair enough it does go to the junk folder but any half decent filter would stop that

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund