We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless computer losing internet connection

mark3986

Likes # 0

hello ive got a desktop computer which has wireless and is upstairs just recently it keeps losing my internet connection and i dont know why hopefully somebody can help

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Could be interference/blocking from other electrical equipment and also doors and walls etc. Next time it loses connection try walking round with it towards the router and see if it picks signal up again.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Ooops, hope your strong :D just realised you said desktop pc....

Like this post
mark3986

Likes # 0

thats its only just started doing it and i carnt understand why

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Same as lotvic, really, but the interference might be outside for some reason. Try changing the channel the router is broadcasting. Log on to the router and find if the channel set is on auto then change, possibly to channel 9 or 11. Try others if same or worse.

Like this post
mark3986

Likes # 0

how would i do that dave

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you have a router and modem turn both off for 1 minute then turn the modem back on and wait for 2 minutes before switching the Router on and see if that helps.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You will need to use a browser to type in the IP address of the router, something like 192.168.1.1 then type the name and password to log in. You should have this info in the manual.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

This is the sort of problem comeing up more often in the Forums,when I had this neither wifi or homeplugs fully resolved it.What l did was to hardwire with a longer ethernet cable (£12 from local TV shop ) run from the router downstairs to PC upstairs.simlar to smart TV (£10 shorter cable ), Problem solved and almost full signal strength ( less than 1% loss) allowing Wi Fi to be switched off, preventing leaching and increasing security

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Widespread 2011 MacBook Pro failures continue: Petition for fix surpasses 10,000 signatures