We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Being abroad

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

My daughter starts university in The Hague shortly. Something she's discovered - which I've also found on trips abroad - is that certain sites are 'aware' of where yo are and redirect you, regardless of the URL you type in. For example, whether you enter www.google.com or www.google.co.uk, you end up at www.google.nl. She's finding the same thing with Skype, with all the text being in Dutch. Does anyone know of ways in which she can work round this?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I use an iPad abroad, and it usually asks me if it can use my position (needed for local maps etc) I don' know if this applies, but I thought it worth a mention. You are given the option of refusing the request.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Hello Ian

Your daughter would need to use a UK proxy server - HERE'S an example of one company that provides this service.

After signing up, she needs to configure Internet Explorer, and Skype etc to use that proxy server and that fools Google, the BBC homepage and BBC iPlayer etc that she's actually in the UK despite using a Dutch Internet connection.

I don't know of any reputable and safe free servers, and I've no experience of the one I linked to above so do your own research for reviews if you decide to proceed with this.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Forgot to mention above, if your daughter simply wants a web-based proxy then HERE's one of many UK-based ones she can use - simply type the address into the page's URL box. It will only work with webpages so it's very limited.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Many thanks guys. Some things to further research there. I wonder if the fact that she's on the university's network would prevent her using a proxy server? (Access to proxy servers is blocked by my work).

Secretsquirrel: you say it will 'only work with web pages'. I'm being dense here: what else would you want it to work with? What won't it work with?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

She can Google Translate any webpage. Should be an option at the top or side somewhere.

Connecting via the Uni's network should also be easily solvable by asking her new Dutch and foreign friends when on-campus/accommodation (or the IT support).

In fact, it's a good way to meet new friends. Tell her to bang on some doors!

Everyone will have the same problems, no use 2nd guessing from here.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I wonder if the fact that she's on the university's network would prevent her using a proxy server?"

Ah, you didn't mention that and I assumed she'd be using her own PC from her off-campus student accommodation. In that case my first suggestion would allow her to configure her PC with the address of a proxy server and she'd then have a UK IP address. It's the IP address that contains information about the user's geographic location. I can't see that working successfully as the university's network and PCs are likely to be pretty much locked down.

"Secretsquirrel: you say it will 'only work with web pages'. I'm being dense here:"

My second suggestion is a web-based proxy service - it fools websites into thinking the user is in the UK so they can access UK-only content such as the BBC.co.uk homepage etc. Google.co.uk would also believe she's in the UK.

" what else would you want it to work with? What won't it work with"

You mentioned Skype which of course won't work with a web-based proxy but will work with my first suggestion. I assumed she was using Skype on her own PC and was getting Dutch text because she had a Dutch IP address.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014