We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

mouse has no effect on Start

Newuser3605

Likes # 0

Hello, I advised my son to download a firewall. He downloaded Zonealarm and now his mouse, although working, has no effect when clicking Start or any icons. We have tried Safe Mode (and start from last configuration that works) but all that happens is that the computer restarts. Any help would be very welcomed. Thanks. Al

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I assume you turned Windows Firewall off when installing Zonealarm?

Have you checked in the mouse settings that nothing has changed?

Try a different mouse if you have one and see if that works. If it does, then uninstall and reinstall the original, remembering to restart between actions.

Can you have a look on Zonealarm forums in case someone else has had the same trouble.

Like this post
Newuser3605

Likes # 0

No, he did not disable the Windows firewall. He cannot get any further than the screen because clicking on the icons does nothing. Thanks anyway. Al

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What operating system?

If Vista or W7 then windows firewall is good enough

Can you do a system restore to a point before you installed ZA

Like this post
Newuser3605

Likes # 0

It's xp pro He cannot do a system restore as clicking on any icons does nothing. I can access his harddrive from my computer but cannot get rid of Zonealarm by deleting it. Does this mean a reinstall?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Restore XP

Boot to the command prompt and type:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press Enter and follow the on-screen prompts to restore to an earlier date/time

Like this post
Newuser3605

Likes # 0

Many thanks Fruit Bat,

I have read your post before and admire your expertise and willingness to help others. I checked out your answer by going into command prompt on my computer. I changed the drive to my son's (F) and then pasted your solution. As you said, it went straight to system restore. I wasn't sure whether this applied to my computer so I never went any further. When I put the harddrive back in my son's computer and tried to start via Safe Mode with command but all that happened is that the computer restarted. Should I have continued with the hard drive connected to my computer? I apologise if this is hard to understand. I checked his drive for viruses etc but it was clean. Many thanks. Al

Like this post
Newuser3605

Likes # 0

Just in case...

I was wrong about my son's computer not being infected. Although a couple of programs found nothing, AVG found and sorted 252 infections including Trojans Cryptic DVT and Z Bot. I also searched and deleted Zonealarm just in case. Everything is ok now. Many thanks.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I would give Malwarebytes a run as well just to see what AVG Missed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia