We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Working with two joined Desktops

peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

What is the best way to join two desktops working on the master with Win7 and wish to use the other as I slave? Can it be done? Has anyone got this configuration? Thanks.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Not sure what you mean by master and slave when talking about two desktops.

I use one of these: KVM Switch. This allows two PC's to be connected to one Keyboard,Video(monitor)and Mouse (KVM).By pressing a button you are able to switch between the two PC's

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus. I mean probably what you have described a main PC that controls the other through one keyboard an one monitor. Then presumably you can have working programmes on both run independently or combined working. Is that the cheapest method, a KVM switch? I have never heard or seen one.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

If both have connections to the same router this can be done quite simply in windows 7 by the network useing a homegroup

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Thanks sharpamat. Hard-wired?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Yes they both can have separate programs running as they are of course separate PC's joined only by the KVM switch and in my opinion the simplest method of complete control over two PC's.

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

Suggest you give this a try

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus and mimosa418 reading the info now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow