We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

internet, router and switch?

destan
Resolved

Likes # 0

Probably a simple solution but here goes. I have a standard 4 port + Wifi router, however with my tv, blu-ray, Home Cinema, Wii, Sky+ and hardwired home pc. How can I connect all to the router, is it as simple as purchasing a switch and connecting it. If so how do I go about it and can I use any port, Like, for example a netgear 8 way?

Any positive assistance will be greatly received.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Please have alook at this to start you off: Homeplugs

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The WII should connect wirelessly and the Wii instructions should tell you how. Fairly sure that you cannot connect Sky+ and your home cinema to the router nor your blu-ray player.

It may help if you tell us why you want to connect them all together.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

As far as I am aware and already covered, you cannot connect Sky + thro your router. Modern TVs have HMDI connection for Sky. Smart TVs , wii and BLU Ray can be connected to your router to provide internet and video streaming. and the 4 ethernet ports should be ample for this. I prefer to use cable connections ie ethernet leads, which are available up to 50mtrs. T dont like the signal loss useing homplugs which I find I dont get useing direct leads. WiFi again does give signal loss. Mine it turned off at the router hence no leaching and higher security

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Morning all.

I think you'll find the OP's talking about "Sky Anytime+". If so then it's a video-on-demand service which requires an ethernet connection between the Sky+ box and a router.

"is it as simple as purchasing a switch and connecting it. If so how do I go about it and can I use any port,.."

Yes, it should be that simple. Something like THIS 10/100 switch would be suitable. You simply connect it to any one of the four LAN ports on your existing router.

Like this post  
destan

Likes # 0

As mentioned earlier, All 4 in use, Sky =, TV, Blu -ray cinema system + Hardwired PC, Wii and 2 laptops wireless, PSP and Kindle wireless. THanks Secret-Squirrel, I will just put and 8 way from 1 port.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good