We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

windows media player

morthin
Resolved

Likes # 0

I use windows vista on my pc.since this week I ahve been unable to run windows media player, that is when I select the imedia icon nothing happens. I ahve tried to download windows media 11 but i get a message saying that media is installed in vista as a prepackage, so I then try to install windows media 11 for vista. Dowmload occurs i thenget the message There is a new version of media 11.0.6002.18311 installed on your computer.It is not possible to use an older installation package 11.0.5721.5262 to install files or to repair your current version of the player, but simply wndows media won`t boot up.Can anybody help ?? Thanks Martin

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

WMP should show up in your Windows Update list. You should be able to go via Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Show Updates - scroll down to find Windows Media Player and uninstall. Restart your computer and then download and reinstall WMP.

Like this post
morthin

Likes # 0

Thnaks for that Checked all the updates not a single one relevant to wmp

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It will not be under programs but should be listed under turn windows features on and off. But that does literally that, it does not uninstall it. You could try turning it off, reboot, turn on and reboot. But perhaps the simplest thing is a system restore to a point before the problem began.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A system restore sounds good to me or run a system file checker. I've also found this utility but I haven't used it, repair-windows-media-player

Like this post
morthin

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your replies, I am still drawing a blank on this one !!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

" imedia icon " What do you mean by imedia icon? Is it a Packard Bell?

In the search box under the start orb type windows media player. This should list the player, click on that and see if WMP opens.

Like this post
morthin

Likes # 0

Ah that should read windows media icon ( typing error),i ahve done as suggested I then click on the icon the screen goes black for about 3 seconds then reverts to the original screen !

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Have a look at this WMP will not start

Like this post
morthin

Likes # 0

marvellous you are a star !!!!! works spot on many thanks thanks for your help

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Green tick? Found it through a search.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...