We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Everytime I receive pictures from one source, just place holders?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I constantly send and receive pictures to everyone in my address book and many others. They can all see everything I send and I can see everything they send, accept for one guy. Although he can see what I send him, when he sends me a picture all I see is a place holder. this also applies to eveyone he sends pictures to, why?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Is he sending the pictures as attachments or embedding them in his emails?

Do the pictures actually exist on his PC (saved as a file in My Pictures etc) or is he forwarding embedded pictures from emails he has received?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

He's probably not attaching them correctly.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Guys

Woolwell, yes you are correct in assuming that the fault lies with him, he - like many of my friends - is not computer savvy and proud of it! They only need geeks when they have a problem and then they expect you to do it for them!

lotvic, I'll answer the second question first, yes they are on his PC. He has Outlook Express, but he doesn't use that. He uses Yahoo. When he takes pictures, he doesn't edit them, so they remain huge. I said...

"open a picture, right click on it,in the pop-up choose 'send to', then choose 'mail recipient'. When you click on this it will tell you how big the picture is and give you a selection of reduced sizes to send. Select one of the smaller sizes, then click 'Attach'."

He tried this, but it opens in Outlook, so he doesn't send it, because he doesn't want to use that email client? He usually stays over a couple of nights to break his journey via his commute to and from his properties in Scotland and France. On his last visit, I showed him how to do it via Yahoo. He seemed to understand, but obviously he didn't. I have since suggested that he puts them on a free programme like 'Image Shack' and emails the link to his friends. He doesn't want to do that?

I'm at a loss where to go from here. I think I know the answer. Just let him get on with it and turn a deaf ear to his cries for help.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Which e-mail client does he want to use? You can set a different e-mail client to Outlook Express as the default and then it opens. But it sounds as if he is using webmail and not uploading the pictures before send.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"On his last visit, I showed him how to do it via Yahoo. He seemed to understand, but obviously he didn't....."

You could both use some remote control software and then you'll be able to see where your friend's going wrong. If he's struggling then you could take over and help him remotely too.

TeamViewer is one such utility that's free and incredibly effective and simple to use - click HERE. You need to download the Full Version on your PC - you can either choose to run it or install it permanently. To keep things as simple as possible for your friend, send him an e-mail with a link to the "TeamViewer QuickSupport" version. All he needs to do is click on your link, choose "Run" when prompted and that's it - no installation required. Finally he gives you his "Partner ID" number and password and you enter those into your TeamViewer then click connect and that's it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia