We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Kindle?

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Although this may really be a Helproom matter, it is more just a chat among friends!

My fourteen month old Kindle is becoming a bit temperamental (battery charging problems,).

The cost of a repair is not really a sensible spend, so do I go for a new Kindle, on spend my Christmas money on a tablet of similar size which may not be quite as functional as an e-book reader, but would offer additional facilities?

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

New batteries are available, they cost about a tenner.

But I would get in touch with Amazon as I have heard they are very helpful, even out of warranty.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

lotvic

I assume yours is one of the new keyboard-less kindles.

Apparently Amazon had reports of users accidentally turning their devices off when turning pages, so they lost the slider switch and introduced the button.

I've never had problems with the slider, and would imagine a button would be easier to accidentally turn on or off...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Helproom from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

lotvic

The original Kindles have a spring loaded slide switch that turns them on and off.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

A 14 month old Kindle should not be having charging problems - all other things being equal.

It's worth checking that your charger isn't the culprit - a new one won't cost much. It's worth a try.

If it's not a faulty charger,have a chat with Amazon. They are pretty good with Kindle problems, they don't want any bad Kindle vibes spoiling what is now a huge market for Kindle books.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Unless millions go wrong ;-)

Get in quick.

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

I have a second generation Kindle (white with keyboard) bought when they were shipped from the USA and have never used the adapter (charger) that came with it - I just plug the lead into a usb port on my pc or laptop, that charges it just the same.................

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

Mine is now 27 months old and I've no problem with the battery, where I do have a wee problem is the 'joystick' - I have to be exact when I use the joystick - if I don't press it squarely the wrong thing is selected! Must be overuse I guess. Mind you, mine looks very dated now compared with the newer versions.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Bought the new one after borrowing my sisters keyboard version.

Found if tried to charge off a mains USB charger I have for my mp3 player the battery light just flashed but it charged fine from the desktops USB port.

If you do buy a new one £89, be aware, there is no "text to speech function" or speakers / earphone plug, so can not play mp3s on it. Loss of the text to speech function could be important for some people.

You can still buy the keyboard version (£110 wi-fi only)

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Is your MP3 play an iPod?

Some iPod chargers give out 12v (iPod's must be able to cope with 5v & 12v input, perhaps to speed up charging). I didn't know this, and killed a perfectly good Sat Nav by hitting it with 12v instead of 5v

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback