We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Kindle?

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Although this may really be a Helproom matter, it is more just a chat among friends!

My fourteen month old Kindle is becoming a bit temperamental (battery charging problems,).

The cost of a repair is not really a sensible spend, so do I go for a new Kindle, on spend my Christmas money on a tablet of similar size which may not be quite as functional as an e-book reader, but would offer additional facilities?

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

a) Have you checked the charger isn't the problem? b) It's only 14 months old and should have a much longer life. Hopefully you got it from Amazon, they may replace it for you.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Buy paperbacks. battery never fails, don't break if you drop them

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Have you checked the charger isn't the problem?"

How?

I thought the charger was built in?

"Buy paperbacks. battery never fails, don't break if you drop them"

But a decent selection for hospital takes up a lot of space!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

All these years I've used a reading lamp not knowing that paperbacks have a battery compartment.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

No, my kindle came with a mains charger, it's certainly not built in.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

How do you charge yours?

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Try a hard reset as that is known to 'cure' some charging problems. Hold slide switch across for 30 seconds and then release. It should go through a 'rebuilding' cycle which takes some time and then put it back on charge.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I wouldn't bother with a tablet, as they're not as easy on the eye when reading for long periods.

Also their fancy colour screens and background processes really use a huge amount of power, so you're unlikely to get more than 8 hours away from the charger.

How do you charge your kindle? I only got a USB lead with mine as it was a refurb unit (with full warranty), I've noticed that a charge from my home laptop takes longer, and doesn't last as long, as a charge from my partner's kindle mains plug.

It may be worth getting a mains Micro-USB phone charger from one of the profusion of phone accessory vendors on your local market...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Where is this mysterious 'slide switch'?

My £89 kindle just has a press button, can't slide it, only press it.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"How do you charge yours?"

Simple micro USB cable, same way as I charge my wife's. I would have expected problems with this to show up before now, and also to affect other devices charged the same way, like tablets and phones.

"It might be worth trying someone else's, "

I've tried my wife's which makes no difference.

"Try a hard reset as that is known to 'cure' some charging problems. "

That's how I know there is a problem. Even with a battery showing a full charge (both the icon and the charging light) a "hard reset" is the only way it will switch on. When it does all settings are lost, and have to redo them all, to say nothing of having to find your place in half a dozen books, is most frustrating.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'