We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Clone IDE to SATA

dlguk

Likes # 0

I am replacing and 8 year old IDE only (120G and showing errors on AdvancedSystemCare Pro)drive with a SATA drive, the PC is a Dell Dimension 4600 which supports SATA. Could you tell me how to clone my old drive to the new one? I have ‘Paragon Hard Disk Manager 11 Suite.
Thank you

David

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Haven't much time to reply (work beckoning) but you can connect the sata drive to motherboard or use a usb caddy (I prefer this), open hard disk manager 11 and find (copy hard disk)link on left hand side. This will start the wizard and will show you the hard drives and how to copy one from the other.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Run chkdsk first on the old drive partition(s).

It will find and attempt to fix bad sectors which may not be copied or even cause an error during cloning.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I use 'USB 2.0 to IDE & SATA Cable' you can get them with or without a power adapter...CLICK HERE

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Thank you all. rdave13 would ‘Hard Disk Migration’ do the trick?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The drive is probably Seagate or Maxtor. If so, why not use their own cloning tool (based on Acronis). Very easy to use. From Here

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Thank you onthelimit1, I have as yet not purchased the drive, I don’t know if you have noticed the price since the floods in the east took out the plants. I am however going to have to order soon as the drive could fail anytime, it sounds ok but it is old and as I have said, error reports. Seagate I would buy Maxtor no but thank you for that link, it will probably be a 500G Seagate. I think I wasted my money with Paragon (can’t get support).

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The seagate tool is free download.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Unfortunately I haven't upgraded to Paragon HDM 11 yet, still on 10, but if you open the program and select help in the menu bar then help again in the dropdown menu then you'll get all the info you need on how to use the software. If on disk view you can right click the hdd and run a file system integrity check and also test the surface. It's a powerful piece of kit and you should really study the instructions carefully under the help menu. Good luck.

Like this post
dlguk

Likes # 0

Thank you rdave13,

The user interface is quite a bit different on 11 and the manual is like war and peace, which is ok if you know what you’re looking for but my head is spinning with it. I made a screen shot of HDM 11 but then discovered I couldn’t send it. Maybe I should just save data and replace the drive and install XP Pro and programs. Regards

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The help files are there so possibly start from scratch and have a read through. Whatever or which ever program you use to clone always make a backup of your documents, photos etc, first. What I've seen on Google for the 11 version it looks like you need the 'migrate disk' option. Search the index in the help section. Save the data so now you can have a go with Paragon and if it goes belly-up (doubtful) then you've lost nothing. One good thing about Paragon is you can't do any damage unless you finally click "apply" and you get enough warnings about what you intend to do. It really is a good program and now fully supports SSDs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback