We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ancient laptop and wifi

danfastlin

Likes # 0

I have an old Advent 6422 laptop. I'd like to use it in my house with the wifi router I've just set up for my main PC.

What do I need? I havent a clue...dont all say 'obviously' at once!!

Thanks

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I assume you mean wireless. If you don't have a wireless card you could try one of these usb wireless adapter dongles.If not you could connect it via an ethernet connection. I would try this first anyway before you set up your wireless. You will then need to set it up just as you have your desktop.

Don't know what sort of memory you have. When you manage to connect to the internet via the laptop you could go onto the Crucial site who will tell you exactly what you have on the laptop and what you could upgrade it to.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

Has the laptop got built in wi-fi reciever,look on the top row buttond and see if one of the keys has the aerial mast symbol, if so switch it on using the function (FN) then press the wirless button.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

This dongle has less chance of being knocked.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...