We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP laptop unbelievably slow and un-responsive

charlton200

Likes # 0

Hi, I have an HP laptop g7-1101sa, about 6 months old. It is an AMD Phenom11 quad-core, 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 750GB. And i'm running windows 7.

I have had this about 6 months and it is so slow and unresponsive. Web pages hang and take about 20 seconds to turn over. It's impossible to have two open programs. When you click on something it just feels as nothing is happening. I run Norton security, Crap cleaner, malewarebytes, super antispyware. I clean up regularly. It is so frustrating, half my time is spent shutting windows down because nothing is happening.

Any ideas what is wrong, or should I send it back.

THANKS

Like this post
Ibanez2010

Likes # 0

Norton Security. Uninstall it. And just use Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 1

This could be due to lack of available disc space or a process thats hogging the CPU. As a start point bring up Task Manager by ctrl/alt/del and choose "start task manager" then click on the process tab. This will give you what processes are running and the % of the CPU each process is taking. If you click on the CPU column it will sort the entries into high and low usage. Also check available disk space, ideally you should have around 20% free or more.

Like this post
charlton200

Likes # 0

I have checked the disc space and I have 600 GB free. I am not a heavy computer user but I hate it being this slow.

Thanks

Like this post
Ibanez2010

Likes # 0

Have you tried checking Norton's settings or even uninstalling it? http://tinyurl.com/7osnsfn

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"I have checked the disc space and I have 600 GB free. I am not a heavy computer user but I hate it being this slow."

Charlton, you haven't fully answered Bris's post. It's quite possible that there's a rogue process hammering the CPU and causing your problem so go into Task Manager and follow the advice given. You'll need to look at Task Manager when the laptop's fully booted, with all the programs open that you normally use at the same time, and when you're not actually doing anything. If you notice one or more processes in the list that are consuming a high percentage of the CPU then let us know the name of it/them.

Whilst you're there, click the "Performance" tab, look in the "Memory" graph on the left-hand side and let us know us know how much memory has been consumed.

PS: Norton used to have a dreadful reputation for slowing PCs down. That was a few years ago and the Norton security products are now quite light on system resources so there's no need to uninstall it. However, if it does turn out that Norton is the culprit then we can take it from there.

Like this post
baldydave

Likes # 0

Hi, go to microsoft on another pc and download this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

Set laptop to boot of cd and let it run as it just might be malware.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015