We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wi fi for laptop

Hucky
Resolved

Likes # 0

I need a WiFi connection ... But I have no wifi on my laptop can I buy something for this... Thanx

Like this post
Ibanez2010

Likes # 0

Search for wireless dongle. That's all you need.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

A dongle is one solution. Another is, if you have a slot, a PCMCIA wifi card. These can be better if you move your laptop around a lot, as they're (mostly) embedded in the chassis of the laptop, rather than sticking out three inches from the side. Make sure you get one that supports 802.11n, though - 802.11g is the earlier/slower version, and can often be had cheaper than the 802.11n devices.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've supplied a number of these. They only stick out about a quarter of an inch, and their performance is quite satisfactory.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

onthelimit: that's very cool...

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Ian - yes, I found them by accident, and they're quite brilliant for under a tenner!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I'm interested in your opinion, onthelimit, and it may help the OP. Whenever I install USB wifi dongles, I only ever install the drivers, and never the application software that comes with them - I always leave Windows to manage the wifi connection, as it seems more reliable (like, it will automatically connect when you boot). Yes, you miss out on some features - but they're typically advanced features that I don't want/need anyway. Do you have any feelings either way?

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I have had problems on one laptop where I had to use the minidisk that came with it for the driver - on others, windoze has loaded its own. I always use windoze to manage the connection - find it much more reliable.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

northumbria61, that's most impressive & a give-away at the price. Saved that link. :-)

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Sorry that was too onthelimit1, need to engage brain before fingers. Sorry.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia