We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Powerpoint spellcheck in US not UK, it just won't behave

Picklefactory
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello folks Having trouble changing Powerpoint 2007 default language to English UK on XP machine. It keeps spell checking in English US and I cannot get UK to stick. Excel and Word are both OK, I just can't change PPT. What I've tried so far

1\ Checked I have admin rights (This is work pc) and I do. (Right click on 'Start'>'Open all users' opens OK, it wouldn't if I didn't have admin rights, also checked properties of my user and I am a member of administrators group)

2\ Start>All Programs>MS Office>MS Office Tools>MS Office 2007 Language Settings>Primary editing language is set as English UK. Enabled editing language has UK and US. I can remove US and OK it, but it just re-appears again next time I open this back up. It won't stay removed although there is no error message.

3\ Control panel>Regional & Language Options>Languages tab>Text service & input language details - everything is set as English UK with no sign of English US

4\ In Powerpoint - Office Button>Powerpoint Options>Proofing>Auto Correct - shows as English US, but no option there to change language to UK

5\ In Powerpoint - Office Button>Powerpoint Options>Custom Dictionaries - Only English UK visible in dictionary language and dictionary list, no sign of US

6\ In Word - Review tab>Set Language - UK as default but cannot remove US, both are ticked for spelling but Word is using UK. I've also unchecked 'Detect language automatically'

Any other suggestions folks, I've run out of ideas and Google is not being my friend so far

Thanks

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Not sure about 2007, but in 2010 Powerpoint:

File, Options, Language - there you can select UK, US or whatever.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

*onthelimit1 *

Sorry, no File options in 2007

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Interesting - I've just checked my PowerPoint 2007 and it too has English US. I'll look into it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Hm - The Control panel region is supposed to control the default language in Office. However right clicking on a word and choosing spellcheck ssems to have kicked the default to English UK.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

"However right clicking on a word and choosing spellcheck"

Am I being daft? Do you mean in PPT, I don't get a spell check option on right clicking a word, how did you manage that? I must have a faulty right finger :o)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You only get the right click option when PowerPoint indicates that a word is misspelt by the underline.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Oh.... yeah. Doh!

But curiously, mine remains in US and the word I've just checked is minimise. It obviously wants to spell it with a z and tells me my version is not in the dictionary. I have been and added it to my custom dictionary but it still doesn't accept it. PPT doesn't even appear to be listening to my custom dictionary.

Bugger!!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Clutching at straws, but have you put the question into powerpoint help?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

This any help?

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Thank you for that, but I'd already found and tried that same bit of info. That was what I meant in my original point 6 of 1st post. Probably not very clearly though :o(

I haven't tried PPT help as yet, thought I'd try Google, then here before resorting to MS, in case it was something fairly easy.

Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'