We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wi fi connection

Hucky

Likes # 0

hello...i am trying to connect a laptop to my wi fi connectiion..do i need any extra hardware...i have a sony 2002 laptop thanx

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

A 10 year old laptop may or may not have wi-fi built in and even if it does it will not be the latest n version. If you can tell us the model number of your Sony we can tell you what wi-fi you have, but you might want to consider using something like this

Like this post
Hucky

Likes # 0

so do i just plug this bad boy in and it picks up the wi fi from my router...and i put in the password code etc?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you give chub_tor the model number he should be able to tell you if the laptop has a wireless connection or not.

Either that or use the wireless adapter it should work Ok.Mind you my computer was only 6 years old.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Hucky

"so do i just plug this bad boy in and it picks up the wi fi from my router" Now that will depend on the OS you have on the laptop. If it is Win 7 or Vista the answer is likely yes, but if you have XP it might not be recognised and you would have to install a driver for it. Once again if you can tell us the model number we will be able to give more specific advice.

Like this post
Hucky

Likes # 0

Have a dongle but it says I do not have a high speed usb connection. Helllpp!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

As others have said, please state model no of PC and Operating system as without this info the folk here cannot help you.

Like this post
Hucky

Likes # 0

its a sony vaio 2002 on xp

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Have a dongle but it says I do not have a high speed usb connection. Helllpp!"

A 2002 laptop may not have any high-speed (USB2) ports, or it may just have the one so try it in all the USB sockets.

Having said that, if you bought the dongle recommended by chub_tor then it should be compatible with USB1 as well. In which case it'll work but only at a maximum speed of around 10Mbps - that's still a lot faster than the average user's broadband connection.

Or are you saying that the error message is preventing you from installing the dongle? In that case let us know which dongle you bought.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......