We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

iPad advice please

GrannyA

Likes # 0

My husband would love an iPad for his birthday in February. We can afford the iPad but I am told that one then has to have a contract in order to use the internet part. Is this true and how much is it likely to cost. Also, does that mean that traveling with the iPad could prove costly i.e. cost of internet abroad. Also, if the iPad is bought in US will it work anywhere? Granny A

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

i have a iPad but only connect to the internet via a wireless connection at home in Hotels or where I'm working. i believe that the iPad you mention is the 3G with a sim card and for that you need a provider o2 or simular, if you require mobile internet while on a train etc then that is the one. Because I have internet via my phone i dont require it on a iPad while on the move.

Noldi

Like this post
GrannyA

Likes # 0

Thank you both for your replies which have been most helpful. Just need to know now if a US purchased iPad would work here - can anyone help with that? GrannyA

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

This will depend on whether you buy the Wi-Fi model or the 3G model and then there are versions of the 3G model also. A bit of reading for you here: Google.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

An iPad is primarily charged through the mains (it does not normally charge through a PC's USB port). A US supplied iPad will come with a US plug but an adaptor can be fitted. A wifi version works universally. My son brings a US version to UK without any problems. 3G is a different matter. Personally I haven't missed 3G. You can use a smartphone as a wifi hotspot for the iPad but this can drain the phone's battery.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

did as Wollwell suggested today and run a Wifi hotspot through my htc. no problems to watch Sky Go on iPad.

Noldi

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Her indoors has just returned from 4 months touring overseas with her new iPad. She was able to keep in communication using local wifi set ups be it in hotels, cafe's or whatever. Many were free but she had to pay in a few countries, especiallt Australia where she found the charges higher than she expected but not expensive.

iPad's come unlocked so will work in any country and they are not like iPhones where most seem to be locked into phone network suppliers.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You can access the internet on your iPad via a micro SIM which you can get from your mobile phone provider. I use mine with a T-Mobile SIM, and I get excellent internet access all over the UK for a few pounds a month.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

FE - To clarify that is only for the 3G versions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger