We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with new laptop

ronec

Likes # 0

I have just received a new laptop. Whilst it was setting up it asked the question 'did I want to partition the drive' I adjusted the volume to two partitions. Problem now is I have four partitions. One small one with the back up files. Two small ones totalling 50GB and one 450GB empty that I cannot access. My computer hard drive is now virtually full. I am trying a Windows install and it is requesting where I want to install to. Trouble is it will not show the 450GB partition on the options, and there is no room on the other partitions. Where do I go from here?

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I suspect the 450GB partition needs converting from an unallocated partition to a logical partition using your paritioning software. I am assuming the 50 GB partition has your O/S on it.

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

Hi romanby1. Yes it looks like all that is usually on the C drive has filled the 40GB allocated to that and some files to the 10GB 'E' drive. The 450GB partition says unallocated. So how do I allocate the empty space and give it a letter, if that is what I have to do. I have tried doing a re-install, but it has not changed the drive space.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Have a look at Secret Squirrel's answer to my question on a similar problem (albeit on XP) on Sep20 at 1020 on this thread may be a similar solution on W7.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

If you havn't got any partitioning software you will have to download it, though I am puzzled how you partitioned the drive previously. I use EaseUS Partition Master, download from http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html Some Full software can be used for 30 days FOC. Open the software and click on the partition you want to make logical and click on the relevant section.

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

Hi onethelimit. that link takes me to a news item

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Not sure what happened to the link - I'll try again!

here

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

Hi romanby. On initial boot sequence of new laptop (Windows 7), after all the usual language settings etc, a box opened asking whether I wanter to partition the drive. I clicked '2 partitions' and set the percentage volumes. When the system had finished loading, it stated 'E' drive was almost full. when I checked 'computer properties' it showed 'C' as only having 40GB and 'E' having 9.77GB. Obviously it was asking me, did I want to partition the 'C' drive further, but it did not make that clear.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings