We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scanning Photo

ponytail

Likes # 0

I have the following printer a Brother DCP-J315W and want to scan a couple of photos but have not used this facility yet so am unsure as to what to do and where the finished item will end up on my PC.an someone explain how to scan using this printer.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Open your picture program eg Irfranview or Windows photo viewer and under 'file' you should find 'import from scanner', put the photo in the canner and click on scan. Having scanned it you need to save it in 'my pictures' for future use.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Alternatively: in Windows XP, there's a 'scanners and cameras' section. Your scanner should be listed there. Just right click on it and then click on 'Get picture using Scanner Wizard'. It will give you the opportunity to tell it where you want the file stored and what you want to call it. A slightly more sophisticated version can be found in W7 under Control Panel, Devices and Printers.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Sorry, I should have said: you'll find 'scanners and cameras' in Control Panel in XP.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If I scan straight from Printer/Scanner (scan to PC) it opens Windows Explorer to show me where it has put the IMG.jpg is, thus:

C:\Documents and Settings\lotvic\My Documents\My Pictures\MP Navigator\20120116

MP Navigator is the software that came with my Canon Printer/Scanner

Or I can open any other program I have, Word, Paint, etc and choose from the File menu: Insert (or Import depending on programs menu) -> Picture from Scanner or Camera, then I can click on Insert (depending on programs menu) and it scans it and pic appears ready for me to do what I want with it before I save it to wherever I want.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Wiz-King,Thanks for the very quicj reply but scanning is all new to me so where do I find Irfranview or Windows photo viewer have now found irfranview but there is no way to get onto file

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Thanks guys working fine

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If I use Paint Shop Pro, I have to go through File -> Import -> TWAIN -> Aquire, and then that opens the program 'ScanGear' and gives me loads more options to fine tune the scan.

Network ScanGear is a 32-bit TWAIN-compliant scanner driver that allows computers on a network to use a Canon iR series digital copier as a scanner. It came as part of the Tools section with my Canon Printer/Scanner. You should have something similar for your Brother.

OR: If I open program MP Navigator from MyPrograms menu then I have options for a Custom Scan with 1 click (Save to pc, save as pdf, attach to email, OCR, or Custom (which saves it to the MP Navigator folder as in my first post)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks