We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any help on why BBC iplayer desktop will not start.

alternator
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been running BBC iplayer desktop on my Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop successfully for about 6months. It is Running Vista(HP) sp2 2Gb RAM. That is until yesterday. I had left it overnight to download a couple of programs and yesterday morning checked to see if it had completed, it had without problem. I then did a bit of clearing up on the computer, I am fairly sure that I did not delete anything significant to BBC iplayer, I then added the laptop to my home network, after the restart trying to start iplayer from the desktop shortcut, just resulted in the timer running for 5secs or so and nothing further. I tried to start the program several different ways, right clicking then run, also tried going direct to the folder with the program and starting it from there with the same result. I did a restore to a point before yesterday, no joy, I then uninstalled the program and re-installed it, but that made no difference either. Also for info, it appears that it is only iplayer that is affected, all the other shortcuts work and start the selected programs without a problem. Any advice on what I can do to resolve the problem would be gratefully appreciated.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

You say you deleted Adobe Air but did you completely uninstall it - there may be some remnants left over? If you simply deleted it via Add/Remove programs then try removing it with the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility or download Revo Uninstaller from here (free,safe and easy to use) enter link description here

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave13, I thought this might be the solution, but I am afraid not joy. I did both of the suggested deletes no luck. Tried a reboot and another uninstall and reinstall but ti is still not interested, by the look of things I will have to give up on this unless anyone has any other ideas. Thanks for all the attempts to help

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Well done northumbia 61, I am much obliged to you and all the other attempts to cure my problem. The Revo uninstaller worked its magic and iplayer is up and working again. I use Revo on my PC but didn't install it on my laptop, shows when you have a good program you should use it on all of your computers. Thanks again to all.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?