We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any help on why BBC iplayer desktop will not start.

alternator
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been running BBC iplayer desktop on my Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop successfully for about 6months. It is Running Vista(HP) sp2 2Gb RAM. That is until yesterday. I had left it overnight to download a couple of programs and yesterday morning checked to see if it had completed, it had without problem. I then did a bit of clearing up on the computer, I am fairly sure that I did not delete anything significant to BBC iplayer, I then added the laptop to my home network, after the restart trying to start iplayer from the desktop shortcut, just resulted in the timer running for 5secs or so and nothing further. I tried to start the program several different ways, right clicking then run, also tried going direct to the folder with the program and starting it from there with the same result. I did a restore to a point before yesterday, no joy, I then uninstalled the program and re-installed it, but that made no difference either. Also for info, it appears that it is only iplayer that is affected, all the other shortcuts work and start the selected programs without a problem. Any advice on what I can do to resolve the problem would be gratefully appreciated.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You say you did a spot of clearing up - have you accidentally disabled or deleted Adobe Air or a component of it ? You may need to reinstall Adobe Air.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Northumbria61, I forgot to mention in my original post,I had scrubbed Adobe Air but I re-installed it immediately after I deleted it. But by the sound of it that is where the problem lies. Not sure what I should do next, the iplayer desktop is a fresh install as is Adobe Air.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Does it work from the BBC website?

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I would be inclined to uninstall them both, restart the computer and then download and install a fresh copy of iPlayer. That should get everything back working again.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Hi Guys thanks for your input: Yes it works fine from the website I think I might try doing as you say delete them both again, shut down the computer. If I am right and install iplayer desktop first it should prompt me to download Adobe Air, maybe it needs to be done in that order? Will leave it until tomorrow, just to see if anyone else has an input before I uninstall again. thanks for the help!!

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

As you install iPlayer it will automatically install Adobe Air

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Maybe you should read this - the latest proposal for BBC iPlayer enter link description here

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the input. I have now deleted Adobe Air and BBC iplayer, shut the computer down. Restarted and installed iplayer (as mentioned previously Adobe Air was installed during the process). However I have to report it has made no difference iplayer still will not start. For information other programs that use Adobe Air (such as Adobe Acrobat) work no problem. Northumbria61 if this problem persists I won't need to worry about having to pay for iplayer. Joking apart I think if the BBC judge it correctly, I don't think people would object to paying for the service, it obviously costs them to offer the service and it makes it much more convenient to watch programs at times convenient to you. Any other ideas??

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

A little further info. I have also tried it with the Antivirus and Spybot disabled, but without any luck

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Uninstalling Air might still leave the BBCi folder so have a look here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014