We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New Wireless Printer Needed

Input Overload

Likes # 0

After dreadful noises came from my Canon printer last night I saw the keyboard cable had been dragged into the rear paper tray & the printer is now suitable only for ornamental purposes due to the profusion of disintegrated cogs etc.

I like Canon printers but I need a wireless preferably with a scanner that can use compatible cartridges or reasonably priced OEM's. My broken Canon used separate cartridges for each colour which I found useful.

However I'm willing to look at anything although I do a fair bit of printing & some photographs so keeping costs down is important & I would prefer for this use an inkjet. It’s a while since I bought a printer so I’m a bit out of my depth at the moment.

Anyone found & or uses a printer with the above they like?

Thanks.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

The best I can say is: my lovely wife bought me an HP 3070A for my birthday in an attempt to de-clutter my desk. It's a nice piece of kit, but I find the wireless aspect a pain (it's not 100% reliable - keeps dropping offline) and even non-HP cartridges are £20+ for a set (£30 for HP ones if you shop around). I've historically used Epson kit, and liked it not least because of the huge choice of good, non-Epson cartridges available at good prices.

Like this post
anniesboy

Likes # 0

I purchased a Canon MG5250 about three months ago,cost £80.00. Its wireless (not for ipad), prints ,scans. Takes compatible cartridges about £20 - £25 for the set. I find it functions very well.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Ian, I live in a granite house & as the builder seemingly intended to use this place as a shelter in event of a nuclear war wireless coverage is not perfect so a HP may not be ideal, so thanks for that info.

anniesboy, the wireless aspect will be used with a couple of DELL lappy's so I'm not concerned about iPad use, so I will investigate the MG5250 further

Thanks for the reply s, appreciated.

Like this post
anniesboy

Likes # 0

With regard to the Canon,I should have added it was a "Which" best buy

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I would steer clear of HP,I foolishly bought one after many years of pretty much problem free printing with Canon and Epson printers but that all changed with the HP wireless. Similar problems to Ian in Northampton and absolute rubbish customer service.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend a printer yet as until the ink runs out on the HP I won't be getting another printer. But will keep an eye on any suggestions here.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Thanks for that advice Chronus.

I've been looking on PCA reviews & the Kodak Hero 5.1 Wireless All-in-One got a good review though iI haven't ever seen let alone used a Kodak printer.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Kodak seem to have cheaper ink than many others. For example this one

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Bought an Epson SX535WD about a month ago. Quite easy to set up and so far quite pleased. Works with an ipad and mobile phone. You can buy high yield cartridges for it.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies, there seems to be some good printers shown here. I'll have a look at prices now & I really need one today also.

Thanks for all the help, it's OK reading reviews but I like to see what unbiased owners think too.

Cheers!

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

In the end I bought a Kodak Hero 5.1 mainly because of the good review on PCA & also it was the only one in stock of the 3 on my shortlist locally. I needed one urgently & paid £89.99 from Argos.

I'm quite impressed with it so far, nice printer even if Kodak have filed for bankruptcy protection. Quality as good if not better than my expired Canon & no worries about having to find decent compatible cartridges.

Pleased!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes