We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What Ethernet cable to install in the home

Parker1234

Likes # 0

Can you help me with what is the best cable to buy for home networking as the Internet itself is mind blowing.

Ok what we are trying to achieve is . Set up a home network around the house (hard wired) and want to attach a network drive in a different room to where the pc is.  

So what to buy and install,  cat5e or cat6 solid cable, shielded or unshielded 100mhz or 350mhz to max the performance in the house. 

I don't want to spent loads of cash on the cable, but want quality. The cable routing in the house does pass copper water pipes and a ring main.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 1

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

Use unshielded CAT6 cable. Shielded cable is more expensive, and in a home environment it's not necessary, provided you observe a few simple rules ...

Try to run the cable so that it doesn't come into close proximity with mains electricity cables. If you have to cross mains cables at any point try to do it in such a way that the Cat6 and the mains cable cross at right angles. ( I know you say that it won't come near a ring main, but it's quite hard to avoid that happening under floors, and I assume you'll run under floors where possible).

Make all bends as slow as possible - definitely no kinks, and avoid pinching the cable with clips. Don't pull the cable tightly - plenty of slack where it passes under floors is a good thing.

If you can, terminate the cables in network outlet wall boxes.

Like this post
Parker1234

Likes # 0

Thank you for your reply... that has made things simple. I was going to buy the cat 6 cable, but then though is it just me wanting the best every time, but reading your reply, cat 6 is best for using other connections such as video etc.

Another question overall if you are allowed to say ... where is the best place to buy the front plates in white that are quality connections

Would you say use modular or fixed plates in the installation.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Depends if you want to mix'n'match or change your mind/future expansion.

I find Screwfix quite adequate at good prices.

B&Q and local Electrical Factors also supply or High St DIY shops.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

I used to buy Networking bits from here http://www.qvsdirect.com/_search.php?page=1&q=cat6 but it was a while ago.

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

If you want the advantages of a wired connection but don't want to mess around with CAT6, using Homeplug devices is a good compromise (and much cheaper).

They're an absolute doddle to set-up (just plug them into your mains sockets) and seem reliable. If you want to punt media files around the place with no lag, use the 200Mbps versions. If you're only ever going to want to move docs around, you could go for the 85Mbps versions but there really aint much difference in price

There are loads of different suppliers but I suspect that most of the leading brands are much of a muchness. Don't try to mix brands - it might work but then again might not and all the suppliers will just say that it's the other blokes fault!

Whilst you'll never get the full-rated speed out of them, they do the biz and being able to simply move a connection by unplugging from one power socket and plugging in to another is absolutely brill!

Of course, you might like struggling with cable reels, wire cutters and cable runs.....

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I agree with SimpleSimon having used a version of "Homeplug very successfully after trying long runs of cable and also wireless modems which wouldn't work in my house.

I bought mine from Maplin but Amazon has a good range of everything and both companies will take goods back if they don't work provided you unpack/repack carefully.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

I agree with Simple Simon 1 and Muergo, use powerline adapters rather than a wired connection. I have these adapters from ebuyer http://www.ebuyer.com/276602-extra-value-200mbps-powerline-adapter-twin-pack-pa304w-p3p and they work perfectly, even through an external wall into an extension.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014