We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

conversion OS in spanish to english

sujabi

Likes # 0

a friend bought a Packard Bell Dot in Spain, but of course the OS (W7) is in spanish. How best and easiest to convert to WXP in english?

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

you can't convert it to XP. You would have to buy an XP disk delet W7 then do a clean install

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Most windows op systems come with two default languages

the country you bought it in (Spain) and English US which you can change to by going into regional languages and settings in control panel.

You cannot change W7 to XP without buying a copy of XP and installing it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you haven't got option to change to English (US) then this might be of use microsoft/W7-direct-download-links you can download the official MS iso of W7 and make new installation DVD in different language.

"get a different language or bit version of Windows 7. Any valid Windows 7 product key determines only the edition (Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise). It can, however, activate both 32 and 64 bit editions in any language"

Like this post
sujabi

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful suggestions. I will try the reset to regional language if option is available first. I was intending to buy XP on eBay as it is very cheap - unlike W7 - it was just the reformat of the hard disk I was not sure about. I amm assuming that no download is possible until the hard drive is clean. Since I am doing it for a friend the cheapest option is preferred. The laptop is a PB Dot.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

support for xp is ended soon he would be better learning to use W7 it is a lot better.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

sujabi, won't cost anything to download the W7 .iso from link in my previous page. Link just takes you to a page with information on and then a list of links for each version of W7. You then click on the link for the version you want, then that starts the download of the .iso file. You can use any computer to do the downloading.

When it's downloaded you then have a .iso file which you have to burn to a DVD before you can use it. You use the Product Key that is on the bottom of the laptop (at least it should be there, sometimes it is on a sticker behind the battery so you have to take battery out to see it)

Like this post
sujabi

Likes # 0

Thank you lotvic - I will do that and let you know how I get on. It was impossible to find any help on packard bell until I clicked a Google link to support (in India!). However he said that if I went online and called him he would give me a key and directions to download a new system - probably W7 or I thiunk he might even do it from his end. We'll see. Much obliged to you for your suggestions.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Don't forget you will also need the Drivers for the laptop if you do a new install and wipe (format) the Harddrive. You will also lose all the Packard Bell 'goodies' (restore partition etc and any freebies that came with it).

Make sure you know exactly what you will be getting before you decide which way to do it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...