We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External backup

Rosalie86

Likes # 0

Hi all,

I have a external drive that I use for backup! I can backup my laptop to it, but not my desktop.. it fails and says the hard drive isn#t ready.There is loads of space on the external hard drive.

Regards

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

How are you backing up? Are you using a software program like Acronis True Image or Norton or are you simply copying and pasting data using Windows Explorer.

The actual message detail might be useful.

Like this post
Rosalie86

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks for your reply

On the Laptop I used the Backup software you get with Windows (No problem). On the desktop I've tried The windows backup software and drag and drop..

Regards

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Which operating systems are on each computer? Can you check what file system is used on the external backup for me. (Right click the drive in Windows Explorer and select properties) Also the make and model of the external backup.

Like this post
robin_x

Likes # 0

What model drive is it?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Morning robinofloxley! Already asked that one. Bet it`s FAT32.

Like this post
Rosalie86

Likes # 0

Thanks for you's reply! It's a NTFS

Like this post
robin_x

Likes # 0

NTFS is how it's formatted.

Also, is it Western digital, Seagate etc? Have a look at these for the Mfr and type and size.

And are you running XP/Vista or Windows 7 on your computers?

Like this post
Rosalie86

Likes # 0

Sorry, I mean't to say also.. The External hard drive is one I had from an old pc and put in a case.. The strange thing about all this, is I can backup my laptop to it no problem..

Like this post
Rosalie86

Likes # 0

The drive is a Samsung 250g, put in a case.

Like this post
Rosalie86

Likes # 0

Running XP

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best camera phone of 2015: iPhone 6 Plus vs LG G4 vs Galaxy S6 vs One M9 vs Nexus 6

IDG UK Sites

In defence of BlackBerrys

IDG UK Sites

Why we should reserve judgement on Apple ditching Helvetica in OS X/iOS for the Apple Watch's San...

IDG UK Sites

Retina 3.3GHz iMac 27in preview: Apple cuts £400 of price of Retina iMac with new model