We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virus in email problem

bovthedog

Likes # 0

I received an email purporting to come from American Airlines confirming purchase of a ticket that I hadn't ordered. Stupidly I opened the ticket download attachment to find out more. I've now lost my PC desktop icons and Windows XP doesn't boot. Clicking on Programs tells me there are none. I have a Windows XP CD so tried to load but I get a message 'setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your PC is newer than the version on CD' which is true because I added SP3 after the original install. Interesting in view of the empty programs message that my PC could compare the loaded XP with the CD version. Also on the CD was a Microsoft link that opened IE and connected so it seems that my HDD might be intact but I can't access it. Is there a solution to this or should I fit another HDD and start from scratch?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Everything is almost certainly still there, just hidden.

Can you boot to Safe mode? (tap F8 repeatedly while booting)

Download and run Malwarebytes

Also

All the major AntiVirus vendors now have boot/rescue discs.

If you can't boot to Safe Mode, can you burn one on another computer and try?

You don't need to fit a new HDD unless you have one knocking around. Re-installing everything is a pain and should only be done if you think cleaning the old HDD is impossible/too time consuming.

If you come across the exact name of the infection, let us know. Specific removal guides are available.

Post back before doing anything drastic. Do you have lots of stuff you don't want to lose or is it backed up?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

After running MBAM, try using 'unhide' introduction here. I've has success with this a couple of times. You may also need to run combofix here. I had a particularly difficult virus a few weeks ago which needed all three to shift it!

Like this post
bovthedog

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies. Managed to get into my Windows XP CD by F8 but at the end of the set up rotine I get 'A problem has been detected and Windows was shut down. There is some STOP info which doesn't mean anything to me but I'll post if it helps to sort the problem. But as I said earlier I can't access the HDD. Can't start Windows in Safe Mode.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

According to blogs.appriver.com/malware-delivery-posing-as-airline-ticket-confirmation

"The messages claim to be from American Airlines and aim to convince the recipients that their credit card has been used to purchase a ticket. Each message has a .zip file attached that alleges to contain the ticket. As you may have guessed, the attachment is in fact a fresh piece of malware. The malicious file in question is identified as [Trojan.Anamkia] which has been associated with infections by the “Incognito” toolkit. In the past these infections have resulted in the installation of rogue AV. Once infected the malware will attempt to reach connect to [FALSHOP2011.RU] 91.220.35.39. This is a newly registered domain located in Ukraine."

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In this thread there is an iso link for the recovery console for XP. You'll need a burner that burns iso files to a CD or DVD. You can try booting from this disc and go to the recovery console. link

In this link it shows a list of commands and how to use. Be careful as you can format the drive from here. Suggest you use the Fixboot command and see if that will enable you to at least boot to Windows.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......