We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Green and yellow screen unusable.

diesel1948

Likes # 0

I was checking mail yesterday and the screen went off then attempted to restart.It was full of coloured squares and rectangles, it then changed to green lines/spots. A blue screen appeared during all this and it offered to try and repair itself which at the end it said it could not. I tried it with another monitor and its just the same, unusable.Anyone any ideas please? Dell dimension 9200

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

sounds like the graphics cad has gone although could be he driver.

try booting into safe mode, tap f8 at boot for the menu.

if you cant see anything at boot or in BIOS then its likely to be the graphics card/chip rather than driver.

Like this post
diesel1948

Likes # 0

Thanks for that mate i went into safe mode the screen is now blue with lots of dots all over it. You can still sign in which i have done now its all the green dots all over the show. It looks like graphic card like you said, drivers upto date. Graphic card about 4 years old as is computer. Is it just a matter of putting new card in and it would work?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes just swap the card and install new drivers for your new card.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Or maybe take the card out and use the on board graphics temporarily.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Depending on your BIOS, try this:

Boot into safe mode and look for VGA mode- this settings bypasses the graphics card and loads a very low resolution to the screen.

If the screen is OK apart from low resolution, then it is the graphics card, if the screen is still the same(breaking up)then it is a motherboard problem.

Terry

Like this post
diesel1948

Likes # 0

Buteman, How could I do this? I have the card out of machine. I don't understand how to connect monitor to computer without the connections on graphic card can you help. By the way new card on order.

Like this post
diesel1948

Likes # 0

Terry is the vga mode on the options menu when you start in safe mode? I presume I will have to put card back in to do this?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Most or some motherboards have graphics built into the motherboard so if you have removed the card just boot up the computer normally and see if it works.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

As I said to you, depending on your BIOS, NOT all BIOS's are the same and so it may not be on yours.It will show (If available) in SAFE mode and for that you need to insert the card.

If it is not do as Buteman suggests and plug the monitor direct into the motherboard (leave graphics card out), and if it boots up ok, your problem is the card, else look for a motherboard problem.

Terry

Like this post
diesel1948

Likes # 0

Hi again guys,, put card back in and went into bios could not see the VGA mode. Every time computer starts it says there is a problem and windows will try and fix. Then it says do you want to restore and then says it cannot fix. Dont know how to connect monitor without using graphics card.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers