We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Green and yellow screen unusable.

diesel1948

Likes # 0

I was checking mail yesterday and the screen went off then attempted to restart.It was full of coloured squares and rectangles, it then changed to green lines/spots. A blue screen appeared during all this and it offered to try and repair itself which at the end it said it could not. I tried it with another monitor and its just the same, unusable.Anyone any ideas please? Dell dimension 9200

Like this post
diesel1948

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for all your advice gents I will try the new card when it comes and if it fails, perhaps have to dump. Motherboards and all the other stuff is a bit technical for me. Putting a card in is bad enough. I will post when its done, thanks again.

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

I assume you connect the monitor to your graphic card using the vga lead from the monitor. The socket looks a bit like a Capital D. If there is not another vga socket direct on the motherboard you cannot connect a monitor without a graphics card installed.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Looking at the Dell manual for this system it looks as if you have 2 monitor connections.

Have you checked to make sure the monitor is correctly fitted to the motherboard (approx 5 blocks up from bottom , and that the monitor settings are not set too high for the on board graphics (or is graphic card the only outlet)?

Page 17 to 18 on manual

Terry

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9200/en/OM_EN/YH242A02.pdf

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

Not all motherboards have built in graphics, so if the only monitor connections on your computer are those on the graphics card then you will not be able to use it without the graphics card installed.

When you are in the BIOS, is the screen also distorted or does it look normal then? If it's distorted then too then it is almost certainly the graphics card that has failed.

Like this post
diesel1948

Likes # 0

Thank you all so much for the advice, I got the new graphics card nvidia 430 and it fixed the problem. We are now rolling again, sorry for the delay in bringing this post up to date.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

diesel1948

Thanks for letting us know how the problem was resolved.

If you are happy that it is working now remember and tick the grey tick at the side of your thread till it turns green.Then it saves others from looking.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do