We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how do I make me the only user in win xp

ray27
Resolved

Likes # 0

At the present I have to log onto my laptop via a password but as I am the only one that uses it I would like it to be configured for just myself can any one point me to the correct way to do this many thanks for any help

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Accounts options --- To stop your system from displaying the Welcome Screen, go to "Start->Run" and type in "control userpasswords2" (but without the quotations). Untick the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" option and click OK

Like this post
ray27

Likes # 0

I tried what you suggested but it got worse I now had a box pop up stating I could not log on until I put a password in, behind this box was the one that asked for my password before. I ticked ok and I was back to the old password box so I think I will leave things as they are as its not worth the bother cheers ray

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Look in user accounts and see if you have one on there for Aspnet or something like that.

Sometimes especially with XP Microsoft adds another user account without telling you.

If that is the case you can delete it and just leave your own user account.

Like this post
Eric10

Likes # 0

After unticking "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" and clicking OK did you replace the default Administrator username with your own username and password?

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback