We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My USB Kindle virtual drive keeps disappearing

dunderheid

Likes # 0

My new £89 Kindle will not charge. When I plug the USB cable into it, the drive installs itself OK and a message states that the Kindle is charging, then the screen changes to show different screenshots on the Kindle and eventually ends up with a message that the Kindle is not currently charging. All the time this is happening the Kindle USB virtual drive in Windows Explorer keeps disappearing and coming back. If I disconnect the USB cable and reconnect it I get the same thing happening every time.

I took the Kindle back to the shop for a replacement and the self same thing is happening again. I am charging from a twin USB2 port on the PC which is feeding an external HDD which is working perfectly, so I assume there is nothing wrong with the USB port on the PC.

Please help me, I am about demented with it!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Not enough power from port

a twin port will share a 500mA power supply

the kindle appears to need a good supply (my new one would not charge from a mains supplied mp3 USB charger)

If you disconnect the HDD you will probably find it charges OK

or try another port

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Also make sure you have ejected the drive on the PC while you leave it charging (so its not in PC mode)

Like this post
dunderheid

Likes # 0

• thank you for your very prompt reply to my post, Unfortunately I have tried your suggestion about disconnecting my external HDD and only taking power from this port for the Kindle alone, and it has made no difference, but all I did was switch the external HDD off,however I will try unplugging it and see what happens. Ths strange thing is the first Kindle charged fine the first time I plugged it in, then when I tried a second time all this bother started.

I would also like to say that I can plug a Sony Digital camera into this same USB2 port and never get the symptoms I have mentioned about the drive disappearing and coming back, then again maybe a Kindle operates differently. I am at a loss!

Like this post
dunderheid

Likes # 0

I have just unplugged the external HDD and even with the Kindle getting the full power from the USB port there is no change.

Do you think it is possible that even this second Kindle is faulty or is it a fault in my PC?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Assuming your using the front ports on the PC?

try using a rear port

Like this post
dunderheid

Likes # 0

I don't have any front ports. In fact this USB double port is a card I fitted myself. All the other ports are only USB1

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

USB 1 is fine for charging as you are only needing the 5v supply connections

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It seems your USB port is underpowered, here is a discussion of the same problem you are getting amazon.com/forum/kindle

I suggest you try the other USB ports other than on your card and if that doesn't work then you may have to get a USB-to-AC adapter and charge your device from a wall outlet.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen