We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help buying a desktop pc

doz123

Likes # 0

Can anyone recommend a good desktop PC.

Preferably Intel core i3 or i5 with minimum 4 ram windows 7 and 1TB hard drive. I have been looking at HP Pavilion p6-2035 is this a good PC, but I have noticed it only as 4 USB ports.

I do not know about graphic cards as I am quite a novice at these things.

Thanks.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

What are you going to use it for? If you intend games/video you will need a more powerful PC than if you simply want to do word processing.

Like this post
doz123

Likes # 0

Hi John

I need it for browsing the internet, shopping, watching videos.

The one I am using now is 7 years old it was from Micro Direct and it is I think 512ram, as it is now going slow and as I have a Dongle in My TV to access the internet it does not seem very powerful.

I am hoping to change ISP to BT Infinity soon but I thought I would be better to get the desktop first.

I am quite good at using the internet but have no knowledge of what to look for in another PC. My local Computer repair shop says he could build one for £420, but I have seen the same specs for less on the internet, I am at a loss what to do.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I had a PC build by my local computershop and I must say it is excellent. You have a real say in exactly what you want.

I have an Intel Core i5 2300, Sandy Bridge, 4G, expandable to 8G with an ATI Radeon HD 5700 Graphics Card. Fully customized for me I paid just under £700. There was also the possibility of an i3 for just around £500.

The big advantage is that they are there at the end of a phone or an e-mail or by calling in to the shop - make home visits too.

I would go for your local shop.

Like this post
cruiser2

Likes # 0

Agree with difarn. This pc was built by a local shop. Agreed the components which were fitted having discussed what I wanted to do on the computer. It was a replacement for one which was four years old and kept having a fault. After less than a month the motherboard failed. No problem having a new one fitted. Have since phoned them on several occasions for advice on a local number. They will even come out and the charge is reasonable.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

There are many PC suppliers. Unless you know your local shop well and they have a good reputation you may well doo better looking at some of the larger suppliers. You could also look at PCA reviews.

To give you an idea of what is available for up to your budget have a look at these offerings:

Novatech

Gladiator

I haven't used either supplier but the write up for the PCs and what they can be used for may well help you especially the Novatech site. There are other suppliers who will build to your specification but unless you know what you want you may be as well to consider a supplier design.

I would suggest though that you consider an Intel i5 processor or AMD Phenom II if it falls within budget.

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Hi - I'm buying a new PC and have been looking at Chillblast which have very good reviews and seem to be reasonable value - I've posted a topic on the Helproom Forum on this so may be worth checking out for replies there - someone has already posted a link to reviews which confirm what I have seen so far

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

I would recommend buying the components you want, and assembling the PC yourself. That way you won't be wasting cash on stuff you don't want or need, and youll learn a great deal.

Like this post
matt2000

Likes # 0

I use a hp G54uk brillient for everyday use. with 8 usb ports, cd/dvd drive internal wireless 1.32 TB of storage and an sd card reader with windows 7 home prenium installed but buy an external hard drive with it and back up your data. 1.35tb can be a lot to loose.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone