We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wwb Camera /Skype

ponytail

Likes # 0

I email my cousin in Australia on a regular basis but would like to talk over the internet perhaps using a web camera someone also mentioned something called skype not sure what it is.I can buy a camera but not sure what to do when I have it.What is the method of using a web camera and what is skype is that an alternative

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Skype is basically using your broadband to make a phone call, the call is routed through the internet. how to use skype video

Just like you see pictures on a web site, the web cam picture is transmitted to the other user.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/features/allfeatures/video-call/

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Skype is a great, free way to webcam - i use it often for my children in Oz. It's a free download. You then need speakers microphone and a camera. Most laptops include these now. If you have a PC, just buy a webcam that has a built-in microphone. They vary fro a fiver to 60-7o quid. I'd try a cheapish one (say around £15) to see how you get on. set up is very easy

link to Skype download

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Good morning FB - I must type faster!

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

As posted above very good for keeping in contact with family an friends around the world. The only limit i have found is you can only have vidoe link with one person at a time but im sure it will come. i now use a Ipad and that is great for Skype, you can use front cam so they can see you or the back cam if you want to show the person something may view outside, weather etc.

Noldi

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

I have downloaded skype which was fine and have now been out and got my self a medium priced webcam.It came with a head set which I presume is to listen to who you messaging the problem is I have to connect it to the speaker sockets at the rear of the PC and they are currently occupied by my PC speakers and there is only one set any advice.Do I have to unplug me PC speakers to connect the headset or is it possible to get something like a USB hub which can take more than one item.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

You'll note I did suggest a webcam with built in micro! However, does the headset have two plugs - one for speakers and one for micro? If so, just use the microphone one and use the speakers for sound.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Again onthelimit1 I have just changed my camera for one with a built in microphone only prob lem now is into which socket do I put the micro plug.There seem to be three sockets the speaker is in the middle one.Is there a diagram to say which socket to put it in.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...