We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this laptop good enough for playing Lovefilm on a TV?

DavidH143

Likes # 0

I am new to laptops. I want to play lovefilm online player on my TV a Panasonic viera. I am sure it has the relevant connections being a good modern-ish TV. I wanted to play movies from my laptop to the TV.

The laptop is Click here

A few questions-

1) Will the laptop if plugged in use as much electricity as an average sky + plus box. Roughfly.

2) Is the processor quick enough

3) I assume I can run my laptop off the wireless router connected to my desktop. I do this with a mobile phone at the moment. Can I then run a cable from my laptop to my TV. Will this then all work ? Or do I need another router for the laptop as well.

4) Will my broadband provider charge more for using a second laptop computer and a new router if I have to do it this way ?

I just wondered in general how good the lap top was for its price and if it will cope for the next three years.

Many thanks for you help and sorry if it was confusing from my previous post.

Thanks very much!

Like this post
DavidH143

Likes # 0

Hi fry buff I read something on the internet that you have to pay a silver or gold membership per year to use an xbox as well as the broadband and lovefilm costs we know about. If any one is an xbox 'nu't can you put me straight as I was jsut googling and may have misunderstood. I will take a look at the panasonic website if you think I might get help there and what I said is still inconclusive to know an answer too. Thanks all you are doing very well helping me its much appreciated. Nearly there hopefully.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This is what your tv has - Product Features

Size and Screen: 32 inch LCD Screen

HD TV: HD ready HD Ready is a Europe-wide standard designed to made HD technology less confusing. HD Ready TVs must have Minimum resolution of 720 horizontal lines (in widescreen format), Ability to display 720p and 1080i formats, An HDMI or Digital Video Interface (DVI interface)

Freeview or Freesat Tuner: Freeview Freeview is free digital terrestrial TV (aerial on Chimney). FreeSat is a free digital satellite TV service, which gives you HD programming from people like the BBC without having to pay for a subscription to a service like Sky. You need a dish to receive Freesat but not Freeview.

Number of HDMI ports: 1 Like a scart interface but capable of carrying HD signals from or to other devices. You’ll need these to link your Playstation 3 or your Blu-ray player to your HD-ready TV.

Number of scart ports: 2 Scart sockets are places where you can connect other devices to your TV. If you already have a DVD player, a VCR and a Playstation you might want to make sure your new TV has enough Scart interfaces so you don’t have to keep crawling round the back of the TV.

Smart TV: No TVs with internet capability allow you access to a range of online services.

Screen aspect ratio: 16:9 This is a ratio of the horizontal to the vertical size of the screen. 16:9 is standard widescreen format for TVs, replacing the older 4:3 format.

Horizontal Resolution in Pixel: 1366, Vertical Resolution in Pixel: 768

DVI Port: No DVI stands for Digital Visual Interface. Like VGA, DVI is used to connect laptops, desktops and other devices to HD TVs or monitors. You can buy a small adaptor to convert your digital DVI socket to an analogue VGA socket for use with older monitors if needed.

USB Port: No * Socket for connecting devices such as a computers and other components*

PC Interface: Yes If you’d like to use your TV as a PC monitor you’ll need to make sure it has a port to allow you to connect it. This is usually a VGA port, but some TVs include a newer DVI port. Adaptors are availible to allow VGA to DVI and vice versa.

Electronic Program Guide (EPG): No TVs with this feature have an on-screen guide to all the programmes that are currently showing or coming up, so you can find your way around all the extra digital channels easily.

Energy Savings Trust Feature: No A Yes means this this product has been rated as being energy-efficient by the Energy Savings Trust. Good for the environment and good for your electricity bill!

Secure Digital Card: No Some products feature the ability to read information from an SD card, a small postage stamp sized memory card.

Also known as: Panasonic TX32LXD7, Panasonic TX32LXD7M, Panasonic TX-32LXD7

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Typo correction: USB Port: No (so no comments should be here, it was a slip up with wrong comment pasted)

Like this post
DavidH143

Likes # 0

Hi guys I have found a great deal I think. Can you check out this link. I spoke to an incredably helpful company who are smaller admitedly who say ASUS are helpful if things go wrong with laptops as apposed to DEL for example. They said they are doing well as a company too all be it small. No long waiting with phone calls very personal service and very knowlagable too. Any way here is a lower-mid range laptop. I told the company I'd check it out with you guys first as you know a lot too. What do you think-

The Laptop

1) Is this good enough for quick web browsing and running films from Netflix online filming ? I can use the HDMI directly incorparated into this laptop from it to my TV HDMI.

2 ) JUST TO CONFIRM WILL IT BE OKAY TO WIFI WITH THE LAP TOP FROM MY DESKTOP ROUTER FOR ONLINE FILMING ? IF NOT DO I CONNECT A ETHRENET CABLE FROM THE LAPTOP AND WILL THIS LAPTOP 'HAVE ONE' AS THIS MAY BE BEST FROM WHAT WE DISCUSSED.

Thanks so much!

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Gogo Digital are reputable co., and Asus are quite good. Should work ok for what you want. Should have no problems with wi-fi, assuming you have decent router. Of course, you can connect with ethernet, if you want, but that won't be included with it. You would have to buy seperately.

Like this post
DavidH143

Likes # 0

I have probably got a few ethrenet cable knocking around so thats okay. Any way thanks for the excellent input. He said he would sell it me in a blue color for £299 £49 off and reserved if for me till Monday. Thanks for telling me they are repuatble. Worse comes to worse I could sell it at £299 anyway probably on ebay given the £49 he knocked off for me.

Any other advice some of you guys might have would not go a miss but I appreciate all you have already done and already given.

Great Guys!

Thanks.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Wouldn't bet on the resale value. But you should be OK, anyway.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I came across an AD, and thought of you, for a "Live streaming media player", by Western Digital. Confess I know absolutely nothing about these, but as it's priced at under £100, it may be something that's worth at least checking out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...