We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this laptop good enough for playing Lovefilm on a TV?

DavidH143

Likes # 0

I am new to laptops. I want to play lovefilm online player on my TV a Panasonic viera. I am sure it has the relevant connections being a good modern-ish TV. I wanted to play movies from my laptop to the TV.

The laptop is Click here

A few questions-

1) Will the laptop if plugged in use as much electricity as an average sky + plus box. Roughfly.

2) Is the processor quick enough

3) I assume I can run my laptop off the wireless router connected to my desktop. I do this with a mobile phone at the moment. Can I then run a cable from my laptop to my TV. Will this then all work ? Or do I need another router for the laptop as well.

4) Will my broadband provider charge more for using a second laptop computer and a new router if I have to do it this way ?

I just wondered in general how good the lap top was for its price and if it will cope for the next three years.

Many thanks for you help and sorry if it was confusing from my previous post.

Thanks very much!

Like this post
DavidH143

Likes # 0

Maybe an xbox is the answer a cheap one- does this connect to my tv by cable ? Is this connected to my router or can it wifi

I have never had any xbox , streamers or any such thing before bare in mind.

Is this xbox suitable just for streaming

Thanks for the advice on the laptop. Is a laptop cheaper running through the mains than a desktop. I think I need the monitor and processor base station 'on' with my PC option. Sorry to ask again on this but over a 3 year period perhaps its an important question.

Thank you for all the help perhaps an xbox would be a cheap option. I do not need a laptop if this is significantly cheaper or another way is cheaper.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Battery life is an important consideration, especially if you want your laptop to be REALLY portable. It varies so widely from laptop to laptop, you just have to check the laptop's spec. Most will have enough to watch a film, but some, not much more!

Like this post
DavidH143

Likes # 0

Hi thank you . I am not really worried about battery life ALTHOUGH ITS NICE TO KNOW, I am more concerned about the mains issue when a laptop is plugged in in comparison to desktop...(this question makes sense if the last two posts are re-read) The above post explains with other questions about xbox subject. I read this is subscription only on the net and a gold membership required too. Can streaming through something cheaper work. As mentioned in last post too.

Thanks everyone. Will check back.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

In general, the potential power consumption of a laptop will usually be a lot lower than a PC. However the actual consumption depends on their design, and what they are being used for. In terms of something like Xbox, you would have to check the power consumption of the model.

Before you go too far, I would check the terms and conditions of your broadband provider. So called "unlimited broadband", often has some restriction called "reasonable usage". Streaming movies can very quickly use up an "allowance", and then you will either find your speed reduced, or, worse still, a thumping bill!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like this post
DavidH143

Likes # 0

Hi thanks for that. Sorry I have not come back sooner! What are my options to stream from my router if I do not use my computer or a laptop then ? Laptop is a good idea but costs an awful lot for me at the moment.

Thanks!

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

You can connect a "smart TV" directly, but unless yours is one, that's not a cheap option. Your cheapest option will almost certainly be something like an Xbox. Also good for gaming, if you, or anyone in family interested.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No one can tell you as you haven't told us which model of the Panasonic Viera Range you have got. Is it one of these http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/5849633/index.html scroll down to near the bottom of page and there is a line up of models.

Have you found the manual yet?

Like this post
DavidH143

Likes # 0

Hi thanks , I have a HDMI 1 and a Common TV interface for PAY TV. It says this-

The common interface module menu provides access to software contained on common interface (CI) Modules. This TV receiver works only PAY TV modules complying with CI standard. My TV is a Panasonic Viera LCD TX-32LXD7M.

If I need x-box do I have to pay a monthly subscription. None of us like games or is a gamer unfortunately.

Thanks very much for all your help. Failing this I will buy a Laptop. I will use the which report online to get there tested best buy. Unless a re-conditioned option is better ? It should save a lot of electricity both for computing and for watching TV with the laptop is my general theory. I think my present sky box(which I can no longer afford to subscribe now) takes up as much energy as a laptop nearly. I use it quite a lot the sky box presently but money means downgrading.

Thank all looking forward to your answers, may be it is a smart TV after all !?

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

You should be able to get info re your TV from Panasonic's website. I wouldn't recommend getting a recon laptop, unless it's from someone you know (and trust). You can get a new laptop, to do what you want, for around £300, from somewhere like Saveonlaptops (they've got a decent rep.), or an Xbox for around half that. I don't know elec consumption on Xbox, but doubt it's very different to a laptop. Both will probably be a lot less than your PC. If you are not into gaming, it's a question of whether you want to pay a bit more for the extra versatility a laptop will give. Subscription costs are the same (broadband charges + Lovefilm)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad