We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Updating to a Wireless N Network

MD__

Likes # 0

Hi, i am a virgin media customer thinking of upgrading my old bog standard Netgear network to a more modern one.

I think i will go with Belkin N600 DB, any thoughts ?

But my main point is will i need to update my PC's wireless adaptor which is an old Netgear WG111T ? and do i need to get the belkin N600 wireless adaptor or can i get a cheaper N adaptor.

The PC is not the main reason i am buying the network and i dont need super speed on it, i am buying for TV, X-box, Ipod and latop purpose.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Some info here. You will need an 'N' adapter to get the better wireless speed. Any dongle should do. As for the laptop, x-box, etc. I don't know what standards they are at but they are backward compatible anyway.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

In my experience getting the matching pci card will give you better speeds.If speed is not a priority then stick with your Netgear WG111T card.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?